Anyone make money with Uship.com? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone make money with Uship.com?

Assuming most of us tow with our diesels or have trailers... I saw the T.V. show so I thought I'd check the site out. I setup an account there as well since I had all my info and it was free.

Honestly all jobs don't look that great and have been driven down so incredibly far by lowballers I don't see how someone with a pick-up and trailer, enclosed or open could make much money. It is an awesome idea though! I keep searching for side jobs there.

Anyone used this site before?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Well you can see on the TV show what they do to each other.....so it doesn't surprise me that stuff gets shipped for cheap. I'm sure that is exactly what the customer wants!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM

Lots of LTL truckers and hot shots hate UShip as it drives down the costs of their shipments/mileage. Most of the people on UShip as stated above aren't legal so they can bid super low as they don't have much overhead. They don't have numbers or enough insurance to be carrying the loads they tow. No way I'd trust any of those idiots with a load after watching the show. Most seem to always be running late, damage the shipment, get lost, or breakdown. Not saying all the drivers are that way but they definitely picked some real losers for the show. Rather pay extra and have the peace of mind of my item getting to me in one piece. Wouldn't even waste my time on UShip. You don't even have guaranteed back hauls so you're just getting paidfor a one way trip.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Yeah I wanted to check it out since I have trailers.

Did you see the long haired guy with the maroon dmax dually? Pouring white smoke everywhere. I heard him say "I smell propane" then he said he had 5 injectors down later in the show while he was driving, lmao. The kid in the van was on a cross county tow with no plate on his trailer. Driving on major highways he was trying "fly under the radar" haha how is that even possible on the freeway!? He got pulled over and curbed.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Saw the episode with the guy and the bad injectors. Classic GM driver driving with bad injectors. That guy is a scab. Saw an episode where he bid on a shipment with too small of trailer. The truck he was hauling was not loaded properly and was too long and wide for the trailer. Guarantee It was over the weight capacity of the trailer's axles too. It was a food truck he was hauling. Don't watch the show regularly but when I see it's on and there's nothing else on, I'll tune in. Didn't know the kid in the van got curbed.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Sure hop on there and get to work, oh wait, where are you DOT #s, your cargo and $1 million liabilty insurance, log books, medical card, and CDL if you over 26,001 lbs, (You'll need to be part of a drug screen pool also.)DOT inspection on you truck and trailer, business license, tax ID#. Oh, and when you DO get caught by the DOT, you won't just get a ticket, they'll shut you down till you DO get legal, have fun explaining to someone why their car is LOCKED in a scale and they may not get it for 30 days.

Just FYI, ANY good car hauler won't touch U$hit because of the low bids, if you want to end up doing it for free, go ahead, but I'll be buying your equipment for pennies on the dollar when you're flat BROKE in six months and need the money.

Have fun.

Just FYI, those people are PAID on that show to make it look good for UShip, there's alot of expenses and other things they don't show. For example, the girl hauling the two bucking bulls, ever state you cross into, you have to have VET papers on those animals. The show where the guy takes off RIDING the motorcycle he's supposed to be hauling. If anyone was caught doing that, you could be charged with theft, wreck it and you just bought it. Shipping Wars IS a joke. Uship just wants it to get more people to use their site, they could give a %$^& if you go broke.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 PM

From the looks of things I'm going to stay as far away from hot shot as I possibly can lol. I don't really have the right truck for it anyway. I am however starting cdl school next wed and I can honestly say I'm pretty excited about it. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade, trying to get into a music college and getting my cdl to add to my list of skills to help get me hired at my backup dream job lol. I really want to be a music producer but i also don't want to die broke lol. Anyhoo this hotshot thing looks like it could be good for retired people with a good truck and some good ol fashion common sense to travel around and make a little cash? Looks like a lot for a little reward though Maybe I'm mistaken? I know one thing though, I'd much rather haul 50,000-80,000 lbs with a big ol kw or Pete and make money and let someone else pay for all the overhead. I guess owner operators do pretty good but gawd the price of fuel and everything else I don't know how. Take all that and scale it down to pickups with a couple cars or an rv or something how the hell does it work?

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have looked at UShip and never seen a load pay enough that I would hook my truck
to it. I don't think you would make much money with a one ton for anything under $2
bucks a mile. Just because it's so hard to get a backhaul.
Doug
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
Yeah I wanted to check it out since I have trailers.

Did you see the long haired guy with the maroon dmax dually? Pouring white smoke everywhere. I heard him say "I smell propane" then he said he had 5 injectors down later in the show while he was driving, lmao. The kid in the van was on a cross county tow with no plate on his trailer. Driving on major highways he was trying "fly under the radar" haha how is that even possible on the freeway!? He got pulled over and curbed.

The dude in the van, is from here in SC and here you DO NOT need a tag on a trailer to be legal I'm not saying its legal to be running a business all over the country running no tag because that I'm unsure of. But for personal use we don't have to run tags no matter if it is a 18ft car trailer or a 40ft enclosed trailer
Old 08-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooter View Post
From the looks of things I'm going to stay as far away from hot shot as I possibly can lol. I don't really have the right truck for it anyway. I am however starting cdl school next wed and I can honestly say I'm pretty excited about it. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade, trying to get into a music college and getting my cdl to add to my list of skills to help get me hired at my backup dream job lol. I really want to be a music producer but i also don't want to die broke lol. Anyhoo this hotshot thing looks like it could be good for retired people with a good truck and some good ol fashion common sense to travel around and make a little cash? Looks like a lot for a little reward though Maybe I'm mistaken? I know one thing though, I'd much rather haul 50,000-80,000 lbs with a big ol kw or Pete and make money and let someone else pay for all the overhead. I guess owner operators do pretty good but gawd the price of fuel and everything else I don't know how. Take all that and scale it down to pickups with a couple cars or an rv or something how the hell does it work?

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?
If your looking to get into hot shotting on the side you had better have alot of money set aside for repairs, insurance, equipment, fees, maintenance, hotels, tires, etc etc. The point is some people make it look like there is a killing to be made hauling those campers and travel trailers and cars all over the country. Fact is if you want to make any money to support yourself you need to look at how many loaded miles you will be able to run.

You only get paid for loaded miles and yea depending on the load you may get $1.75 a mile but that's only loaded. If you have to drive all the way to say Indiana to pick up a camper from South Carolina your dead heading the entire way there. So you eat all the unloaded miles and fuel. Point is for all the loaded miles you run you will be doubling that in unloaded miles at least and thats a LOT of wear an tear on your rig. Most carriers won't even let you sign on until you have put down like $1500 cash in liability deposits (basically if you scratch a trailer during transport it comes out of that $1500) as well as having a goose neck, fifth wheel, and class 5 hitch with sway bars, break away setup, all kinds of mud flaps, and you pay them for your commercial tags and dot #'s.

I talked to a bunch of guys that do it and they all say unless you got some serious cash put away don't do it because it won't be long til your dead broke and selling everything to put food in your stomach. Also if you think that hey I am running these dead head miles myself and eating the cost why not just find me a load from here to there and I get paid for it, well sadly it won't work that way because when you sign on with whatever carrier you choose they will take most of your loaded mile pay from the side hauls you are doing to get by. They also say you better be putting at least half of your take home into a savings account so that you can buy a new truck every couple of years. It's not the glamourous life style that some make it out to be.

The whole traveling thing about hot shotting is not a relaxing atmosphere your are constantly running and racking up miles you don't get the "vacation" here and there that most think is possible with hauling hot shot loads on the side. Just hope this clears up any kind of vagueness on the subject. There is money to be made out there doing this, but you have to be willing to stay out all the time and be running constantly to make any decent money. I remember one guy in particular who makes $200k a year doing it, BUT he also is running about 2000-2500 loaded miles a week and for those loaded miles he's running around 2500-3000 unloaded miles a week. Just keep in mind its a very costly business to get into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.