Thinking of switching career paths, kinda stuck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of switching career paths, kinda stuck.

As the title says. I have been working in the automotive industry for 2.5 years, while attending school at night to earn my degree. I'm only about a year away from completely my AAS degree, but after working in a shop I just don't think I want to do this for the rest of my life.

But, I'm not really sure where to turn. I know if I want to be more successful, I'll have to go to school for several more years, and possibly work towards a bigger and better degree, and I'm willing to accept that.

I'm 21, and grew up on a lake with all the toys, boats, dirtbikes, jetskis, etc... I would LOVE to be able to live like that when I'm a little older, and I know it's going to take a lot of hard work, determination, and dedication to get there.

I'm a good worker, RARELY call in sick (I have only missed 1/2 day in 2.5 years at my current place of employment, aside from vacations), am NEVER late, and stick around until the job is done. I'm not really the type to sit in an office chair all day. I like working with my hands, and sometimes in a team, but not always.

I guess I'm looking for advice, and maybe some suggestions of careers worth looking into, and what it may take to get there. I've thought of the clean energy industry, or maybe the oil and gas industry. Contradicting, I know But, I'll listen to pretty much anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its never too late to go to college... Im a 22 year old sophomore in college. I played hockey out of highschool trying to get a scholarship. It was worth the try however it obviously put me behind heading to college. Most kids I went to highschool with are now graduated from college this past year. I wouldnt trade playing junior hockey for the world but it almost puts us in the same situation. Its worth getting it right while your young. Much better than having to go back when you have bills....
Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

That's why I figure if I'm going to be switching career paths, now would be the time to do it. I've been taking night classes at the local community college working my way towards my AAS degree for the past two years, and do intend to finish it. But I just can't picture myself doing automotive work for the rest of my life. It pisses me off on almost a daily basis, and I know I can't pursue a profession that does that. I'm glad I've taken the classes, becuase I can diagnose and repair my vehicles myself, so it's not like the past couple years have been a waste. Far from it, in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Look into insurance adjusting as an independent, or selling roofs - ie storm damage restoration. You can easily make a 100k a yr selling roofs. You can make more as an independent adjuster, but it's harder work and you travel all over- good for single guys not good for relationships. But you work for 8-10 months out of the year and take off the rest of the time.

Sent from iPhone
Old 07-19-2012, 05:27 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

It's kinda funny that you bring that up, I have heard so much about new roofing from storm damage lately from my parents lately it's ridiculous. A friend of ours is an adjuster for that kind of stuff, so I overhear a lot about it..

I've been looking into the oil industry, but I just don't know. I know the industry can be booming one day and then next thing you know you're out of a job, so I don't know if it's worth serious consideration or not. I have a few buddies that work on the rigs, and they say it's tough work, but they pay well.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

two words...

OIL FIELD

If you can't make $80-90k/yr with no experience in the oil field, you're doing it wrong
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 AM

do something you love and never work another day in your life
Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
two words...

OIL FIELD

If you can't make $80-90k/yr with no experience in the oil field, you're doing it wrong
I've been looking into it, because I know there's money in it, but there's also a lot of sacrifice involved, from what I've heard. I'm not the biggest of guys either, I'm only about 5'10" and 165 lbs, so I wanna know I would be able to do the work as well.

And, at least from researching on Google, earning that kinda cash requires a degree. But then again, this is just from searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke2501997 View Post
do something you love and never work another day in your life
Wouldn't that be the life. Although I don't know if anything I love to do could end up in a career and a well paying job But if I could find a good career in something that I don't mind doing, then I guess that would be the next best thing.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 AM

I'm not big on telling someone to go work the oil fields. I have heard (no experience) that it is TOUGH work but does pay that good for someone willing to relocate and travel around.

I make about 50k/yr. as a machinest in a special tool grinding dept. I also wouldn't recommend it because it is factory work. I never feel satisfied at what I do. A factory, to me, is a fall back when you have kids and a house and need the work.

I would have suggested an engineering job but there is a lot of seat time with it. Some people I know that got into the oil business as engineers are pulling some good cash. Career paths are hard to choose right now with all the termoil in the jobs market and a stagnet economy.

Also, I have found that a job in a field that you actually love can be a bad thing also. I did that for a little bit and guess what, it turned into a job! I like to have something that I really enjoy for an escape from the normal 9-5 if you know what I mean.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
I'm not big on telling someone to go work the oil fields. I have heard (no experience) that it is TOUGH work but does pay that good for someone willing to relocate and travel around.

I make about 50k/yr. as a machinest in a special tool grinding dept. I also wouldn't recommend it because it is factory work. I never feel satisfied at what I do. A factory, to me, is a fall back when you have kids and a house and need the work.

I would have suggested an engineering job but there is a lot of seat time with it. Some people I know that got into the oil business as engineers are pulling some good cash. Career paths are hard to choose right now with all the termoil in the jobs market and a stagnet economy.

Also, I have found that a job in a field that you actually love can be a bad thing also. I did that for a little bit and guess what, it turned into a job! I like to have something that I really enjoy for an escape from the normal 9-5 if you know what I mean.
That's what I've heard plenty of times too. I've never heard anyone say it's easy work, and I know it isn't either. I'm a single 21 year old guy with a truck and nothing to tie me down, so moving around isn't an issue. I love living in CO, but I wouldn't mind spending some time in other states either.

I've put a little thought into engineering, but frankly have no idea where to even start.

And I agree completely with that last statement. I've been tinkering with anything with a motor since I was like 7 or 8. I was all excited to get into the automotive industry and get my hands dirty, but here I am now and I honestly almost can't stand it. I used to love wrenching on my toys, but now I find myself making excuses to avoid fixing the sh*t I break. I don't want to ruin one of my hobbies by making a career out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.