man this is crazy!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
man this is crazy!!!

Sheriff's Deputy Kills Six in Rampage

By ROBERT IMRIE,
AP
Posted: 2007-10-07 21:41:36
Filed Under: Nation News
CRANDON, Wis. (Oct. 7) - An off-duty sheriff's deputy went on a shooting rampage early Sunday at a home where seven young people had gathered for pizza and movies, killing six and critically injuring the other before authorities took him down, officials said.

Photo Gallery: Small Town Shaken by Violence

Andy Manis, AP

Residents of Crandon, Wis., hug near the site where an off-duty sheriff's deputy went on a shooting rampage Sunday, killing six people and injuring a seventh before authorities reportedly shot him dead.
1 of 5

The gunman, Tyler Peterson, was 20 years old and worked full-time as a Forest County deputy sheriff and part-time as a Crandon police officer, said Police Chief John Dennee.

Three of the victims were students at the small town's high school, and three were recent graduates, a school official said. The gunman may have graduated from the same high school.

Peterson was not working at the time of the shooting, Sheriff Keith Van Cleve said.

The survivor was hospitalized in nearby Marshfield, Dennee said. A Crandon police officer who fired back was treated for minor injuries and released.

Gary Bradley, mayor of the city of about 2,000, said earlier Sunday that the suspect had been brought down by a sniper, but Van Cleve would not confirm that officers shot the suspect.

It wasn't immediately clear what the gunman's motive was, but the mother of a 14-year-old victim said the suspect may have been a jealous boyfriend. The shooting occurred in a white, two-story duplex about a block from downtown Crandon.

"It was a pizza and movie party," Dennee said.

Three of the victims were Crandon High School students, said schools Superintendent Richard Peters, and the other three had graduated within the past three years.

"There is probably nobody in Crandon who is not affected by this," Peters said, adding that students would be especially affected. "They are going to wake up in shock and disbelief and a lot of pain."

Peters did not know whether Peterson had also graduated from the 300-student high school. But Crandon resident Karly Johnson, 16, said that she knew the gunman and that he had helped her in a tech education class.

"He graduated with my brother," she said. "He was nice. He was an average guy. Normal. You wouldn't think he could do that."

One of the dead was 14-year-old Lindsey Stahl, said her mother, Jenny Stahl, 39.

She said her daughter called her Saturday night and asked whether she could sleep over at a friend's house. Jenny Stahl agreed.

"I'm waiting for somebody to wake me up right now. This is a bad, bad dream," the weeping mother said. "All I heard it was a jealous boyfriend and he went berserk. He took them all out."

Marci Franz, 35, who lives two houses south of the duplex, said gunshots awoke her.

"I heard probably five or six shots, a short pause and then five or six more," she said. "I wasn't sure if it was gunfire initially. I thought some kids were messing around and hitting a nearby metal building."

Then she heard eight louder shots and tires squealing, she said.

"I was just about to get up and call it in, and I heard sirens," she said. "There's never been a tragedy like this here. There's been individual incidents, but nothing of this magnitude."

Her husband, David Franz, 36, said it was hard to accept that someone in law enforcement committed such an act.

"The first statement we said to each other was, how did he get through the system?" David Franz said. "How do they know somebody's background, especially that young? It is disturbing, to say the least."

The sheriff said he would meet with state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen on Monday morning to discuss the case. Dennee said the state Department of Criminal Investigation will handle the case because the suspect was a deputy and officer.

The Crandon School District called off classes Monday.

The community, about 225 miles north of Milwaukee in an area known for logging and outdoor activities, is facing a trying time but is pulling together, Bradley said.

"We are a strong community. We always have been," he said. "This is agonizing, but we will prevail."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2007-10-07 16:34:28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Rice Hunter

SAD STUFF RITE THERE!! Sick people in this world need more than help!!
My Thoughts and Prayers to all involved!!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
one day at a time

yeah, that's some pretty crazy sh!t. You gotta wonder how well mentally balanced some people are... Including some of the ones responsible for our "public safety" sometimes. I read something about the possibliity of a "jealous boyfriend" motive. Sorry, but there ain't no girl on this earth that'd make me start shooting all those people.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
yeah i agree, it makes me sick to see this stuff go on, especially makes me wonder how they got the job in the first place. my ultimate goal in life is to be a state trooper, or Deputy, or police officer and i am having a hard time getting in right now, and i am as clean as the pope himself, i dont have a bad background, and i know i am stable in tense situations and dont know why i cant get in....
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to BOILERTURF2387
I just saw this on the news. Thats insane. I'll be 20 in a couple weeks. I couldn't imagine someone my age going into a party and just unloading. wow
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
oh wow That is horrible! I feel for those families
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalker29 View Post
yeah i agree, it makes me sick to see this stuff go on, especially makes me wonder how they got the job in the first place. my ultimate goal in life is to be a state trooper, or Deputy, or police officer and i am having a hard time getting in right now, and i am as clean as the pope himself, i dont have a bad background, and i know i am stable in tense situations and dont know why i cant get in....
I worked for the county sheriff's dept. for 4 years in the jail. I did a lot of riding around with the road deputies during that time too. All I can tell you from my experience is that it takes a special kind of person to do the job. A lot of the people you have to deal with on a daily basis you'd rather not be around... The job had its upside too, sometimes you really had the opportunity to make a difference in someone's life, but that was the exception not the rule. Good luck to you.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

no matter how bad this is, think of it this way: this smchuck won't be doing that again since authorities killed him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.