No Liquids, Then Ziplock Bags, Now R/C Cars!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
No Liquids, Then Ziplock Bags, Now R/C Cars!!!

I was watching the news this morning and they had a special report on the TSA and what they are looking for now.....and its Radio Controlled Cars, apparently someone on you tube posted a video on how to build a bomb with an R/C car and it has the airports in a panic and they were warning parents that children with R/C cars will be searched and patted down ......this also brings me to me next rant.....those stupid Ziplock bags that you are now allowed to carry your "liquids" in, when they said no liquids at all, of course once you were through security you could go buy another bottle of water ....what the hell is a Ziplock bag going to do? Don't get the wrong idea I for one believe in airline security and don't mind waiting in line for peace mind for safety, but this is getting a little ridiculous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
The RC Toy thing is due to a credable threat. Meaning someone, somewere in the world tried it and TSA is protecting against it. Same w/ the liquids thing. TSA is the reason that I drive when I can to travel. I can take anything I want and it's a little more fun. This RC toy issue has been on the news for the past few days. It's really nothing new. Why are you traveling with an RC toy anyways???
Old 10-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
Why are you traveling with an RC toy anyways???
Because I was thinking about getting one of these.... to past time in the airport running and climbing over people's bags and feet
Tamiya America Item #58372 | RC Ford F350 High-Lift - 4X4-3SPD

And I don't want it taken away....
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Well, if that is the case, then I hope you don't mind being detained a little at the airport!!! LOL
Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

I do a fair amount of work at BWI Airport in Baltimore and I can tell you if you were running one of those around the terminal you would most definitely get a violent cavity search!

We sometimes do work on airport property more than 3 miles from the terminal in the middle of nowhere and still have to have at least one person with security clearance on-site. Airport security gets more stringent every day. We price some of our contracts for a 3 year period. Trying to cover all of your costs when the security requirements change daily is impossible. The airports pay 3 to 5 times the price of what it would cost to do anything in the private sector. Even at those rates it's tough to make money on the work.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Let's Run'em

[quote=720Deere;277830]if you were running one of those around the terminal you would most definitely get a violent cavity search!

......I think I'll leave the truck at home then......but on a serious note, can someone please explain the Ziplock bag theory to me???
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Banned

It would be incredibly easy to carry anthrax or any other biological agent in a ziplock bag. A ziplock would also make it easy to deploy that agent by no more than squeezing the bag and popping the seal. That's my best guess.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to geekdownrange
Why the 1-quart ziplock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post

......I think I'll leave the truck at home then......but on a serious note, can someone please explain the Ziplock bag theory to me???
The "one quart ziplock bag" serves two purposes:

1) It puts an upper limit on the amount of liquids that can be carried through security.

2) It makes it easy for TSA to check the liquids. Since they aren't spread across the 97 pockets, zippers, flaps, etc of a carryon or laptop bag combo the search and check goes much more quickly.

The issue isn't the amount of liquids carried onto the plane, the issue is the amount of liquids carried through security. Do some quick Googling for "Bojinka" and you can read about actual terrorist use of liquid explosives. Wikipedia link to get started.

Bojinka was a Ramzi Youseff plot from the mid-90s. The devices were tested operationally and caused a fatality on an aircraft in flight. The threat has been real and credible since that time or before. The plotters in the UK were not planning anything new or original.

-Brian
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
It would be incredibly easy to carry anthrax or any other biological agent in a ziplock bag. A ziplock would also make it easy to deploy that agent by no more than squeezing the bag and popping the seal. That's my best guess.
No, no I guess I didn't word it right.... I understand the no or limited liquids on the plane because of the many different biological agents that are out there, I'm asking what is the purpose of the Ziplock bag for the TSA?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdownrange View Post
The "one quart ziplock bag" serves two purposes:

1) It puts an upper limit on the amount of liquids that can be carried through security.

2) It makes it easy for TSA to check the liquids. Since they aren't spread across the 97 pockets, zippers, flaps, etc of a carryon or laptop bag combo the search and check goes much more quickly.

The issue isn't the amount of liquids carried onto the plane, the issue is the amount of liquids carried through security. Do some quick Googling for "Bojinka" and you can read about actual terrorist use of liquid explosives. Wikipedia link to get started.

Bojinka was a Ramzi Youseff plot from the mid-90s. The devices were tested operationally and caused a fatality on an aircraft in flight. The threat has been real and credible since that time or before. The plotters in the UK were not planning anything new or original.

-Brian
Ah ha, there is the answer I was looking for....thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.