Agriculture Education - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Agriculture Education

I am about to graduate high school and have so many different ideas about what I want to do after high school. I know I am going to take about year off and get a different job to make more money, then go to college.

Lately I have highly considered becoming an agriculture educator. I have always loved agriculture and that is what the majority of my classes throughout high school have been.

I am just curious as to what everyone's opinion on here is about agriculture education. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am a graduate of the Southington (CT) High School class of 2011 Agriculture Science and Technology program. I absolutely loved it. I made so many friends, made business connections, and learned all sorts of practical knowledge, most of which I use at least a few times a day. I still visit and keep in touch with the staff there.

I support it fully if you decide on it. My mechanics/turfgrass teacher made a huge impression on my life and what I want to do with it. You can do that too if you decide to be a teacher.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
331stroker, I think it's great that you are thinking about becoming an agriculture science teacher. I am an 8th grade science teacher but I've recently taken a praxis test for agricultural science and I am now certified to teach it. Hopefully in the next year or so a position will open in one of the two districts I'm looking at.

A few things you need to know/check out before you pursue this:

*It requires longer hours for which you will not get paid for plus an extended work contract. Most teachers have a nine month contract, most ag teachers have a 10 mnth.
*You have to put up with smartass teenagers (and you can't beat them lol)
*After finishing your four-year degree you will have to perform SEVERAL weeks of student teaching which is NOT paid. This is the hardest part for most going into teaching because it is a huge financial burden. You will also still need to pass a praxis test for agricultural education. I passed it with above average scores and I have a degree in Biology with emphasis in wildlife and conservation, but I have farmed my entire life.
*You will probably need to be willing to move to obtain a job. I live in a very rural area and even then, not every school has an agriculture program. So in other words...you may have to move a distance to find a job.
*If you cannot find a job, what will you do? It's always good to have some sort of "plan B" just in case you don't get the job you want. It's a bad idea sometimes to tailor a degree specifically for one job...because there is no guarantee you'll get that job. Then you are left with a worthless degree.

I have two bachelor’s degrees, one in Biology and one in Criminal Justice. My goal was to become a conservation agent. I did direct my degree program with that as my goal but my back up was teaching science. I did reach my goal and became an agent and a couple years later figured out it sucked not getting to hunt and fish anymore or see my family...sooo I went into teaching. Now I get to do all of those things whenever I want and I get summers off.
I don't know what state you are in but each one has slightly different rules and requirements for becoming a teacher. I would talk to some other ag teachers and your states dept of elementary and secondary education to find out specifically what you would have to do.

Congrats on your up coming graduation and good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.