HOV Lane - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dieselmatt
HOV Lane

Well, yesterday I got a ticket for driving in the HOV lane here in Oregon. I wasn't in the lane for 300 - 400 yards before the HOV restriction ended and the damn cop still gave me a ticket. $260!!! I understand that I was wrong for being in it since it was just me in the truck, but come on it was an extremely short distance before the restriction ended and there was no one in it to begin with! Is me paying nearly $1/yard really necessary??

Does anyone on here have experience with getting tickets dropped or at least reduced in Portland, OR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dang man that sucks to hear

I'm not sure how it works in Portland, but in SPokane if you go to court for the ticket and before the judge comes out you can make a deal with the prosecutor.

Usually they drop the ticket to a Non-moving violation and drop the money a little bit...

If not then take some pictures of the HOV lane and tell them the story... maybe change the 300 yards to a picture with about 2-5 yards...

Maybe someone from the area will chime in!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Not trying to talk you out of anything - You do what you think you need to do.

Consider the economics of it. IF you go to court, how much $ do you lose not being at work, and the fuel to get there. Is it cheaper to just pay it and be done? Just asking.

I know there is the principle of the thing and sometimes you gotta stand up for what you believe. Only offering an alternative. Nothing more.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post

Consider the economics of it. IF you go to court, how much $ do you lose not being at work, and the fuel to get there. Is it cheaper to just pay it and be done? Just asking.

I know there is the principle of the thing and sometimes you gotta stand up for what you believe. Only offering an alternative. Nothing more.

If you only look at paying the $260 for the ticket then, no its not worth it to take time off from work... BUT, with a moving violation a person's insurance premium goes up for 3-5 years.

If we add that money then IMO it is worth it to lose one day of work to get it changed to a "non-moving violation" which will not raise insurance premiums...

Plus it is nice just to have a clean record if it is not screwed up already
Old 02-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

That is something I hadn't considered - Thanks for letting me know that.
This does make me think though. I got a speeding ticket several years ago in my wife's TransAm. I was able to do a traffic school to keep it from DMV and hence my insurance company did find out. Would this type of ticket be eligible for something like that? Does Oregon allow for that? I don't know-I'm in CA.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

It depends is the ticket was changed to a non moving violation due to the traffic school that was taken...

I'm in WA and when I was younger I did my share of stupid things, But I took 99% of them to court and got them reduced to "expired tabs" tickets which are non moving violations... I still payed the tickets but my insurance did not raise my premiums!!!

Funny thing now is my record is clean and my wife has one ticket on her record AND I never let her forget she is the reason our insurance is high

(BTW the ticket she got was for window tint too dark which we went to court for and they told us it is already a non-moving violation so I didnt make them change it to a "expired tabs" WELL turns out 6 months later our insurance goes up because even though window tint is a non-moving, it still raises premiums!!!

I was soo pissed at them for raising our insurance for a window tint ticket which was a NON-moving ticket..
and more pissed at myself for not making them change it to an expired tabs ticket right away. That was a waste of a day...

It's funny to look at my record from the past showing getting expired tabs tickets every month for a couple years...
The DMV people are probably thinking, "Man can't this guy just get his new tabs!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post

No, it is not cheaper to just pay for it in my case. My daily job has changed from reporting to a base everyday to reporting to a university. So, the only thing I will miss is a class or two. Both of those classes have everything I need to know posted on the course website. As for the fuel, it is only about 10 miles further to where the courthouse is compared to where I normally drive everyday anyway. So, the 20 mile round trip would use, at most, 2 gallons of fuel equaling roughly $8 in fuel.

Normally I would say yes to your statement, but I seem to be in one of the odd categories this time.

I am going to go down to the courthouse tomorrow because the ticket says I can go ON or BEFORE the court date. Hopefully I can at minimum get it reduced to a non-moving violation and a fine reduction of 75%. The law states that they are authorized to do this so we will see what happens. I would like to get it thrown out all together, but I get the feeling I'm not that lucky.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Let us know man, hope it works out for you!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Best of luck to you!!! Got my fingers crossed.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well, I went down there today and boy was that a mistake. The courthouse is in the middle of downtown Portland and I couldn't find anywhere to park the truck on a Friday afternoon. So, I'll be taking the sedan down there next Thursday instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.