Dog Opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Dog Opinions

We currently have a pound rescued 12 year old Dalmatian Pointer cross. He unfortunately is not long for this world. I like big dogs but the wife has shot down the idea of a Bull Mastiff. So what other big dogs are mellow and don't tip the scales at 150#?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
irish wolfhound, sheep dog, malamute, chesepeeke bay retriever(My dad has one, Must be very stern with them), newfoundland(awesome water dog), I mean you can go on petfinder dot com and look at all the hundreds of breeds but it comes down to how you are as an owner as to what the temperament of the dog is going to be. I have 3 60-75 pounders right now (a pit mix, a malamute mix, and a shepard mix) and they are all great and mellow inside, but when I take them out to play I can get them wound up until I tell them games over. They are my canoeing buddies and all three go in a 16.5 ft canoe with me.

Forgot to add that they are all rescues.

Last edited by campbellflage; 02-06-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Still Alive

Any dog we get will be locked in the house while we are at work. I am a very competent trainer of my dogs so that isn't the issue. I need a dog with a lazy temperament to begin with.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM

All three of mine are locked in the house while I am at school, and the gf is at work. What do you do for fun? That's one of the main reasons why I want a new foundland now cause they are water dogs. Maybe start there and check out what would be best suited for that. If your looking for lazy and big only thing that I can think of right away is st Bernard but that could go over 150.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Josh, if you are into Mastiff's look into the Italian Mastiff. They usually don't go much over 100 lbs. Personally I prefer Australian Shepherds. If you screen carefully you can get a nice laid back dog. The bigger, thicker coated Aussie's seem to be more laid back than the smaller thinner coated ones.

Great dogs. Smart, protective, and really bond with their people. I have had 4 of them. Currently have 2, a male 60 lbs and a female 46 lbs. They have all been rescues. Another really laid back herder is the Bouvier. They will go around the 100 lb mark too. Females a bit under males maybe a bit more. I love them too.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellflage View Post
All three of mine are locked in the house while I am at school, and the gf is at work. What do you do for fun? That's one of the main reasons why I want a new foundland now cause they are water dogs. Maybe start there and check out what would be best suited for that. If your looking for lazy and big only thing that I can think of right away is st Bernard but that could go over 150.
Bulls are lazy and big. I know it depends on the dog. We have two hyper breeds in ours but he is anything but hyper. I go RVing for fun so not much help there. Oh and it has to be good with my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Josh, if you are into Mastiff's look into the Italian Mastiff. They usually don't go much over 100 lbs. Personally I prefer Australian Shepherds. If you screen carefully you can get a nice laid back dog. The bigger, thicker coated Aussie's seem to be more laid back than the smaller thinner coated ones.

Great dogs. Smart, protective, and really bond with their people. I have had 4 of them. Currently have 2, a male 60 lbs and a female 46 lbs. They have all been rescues. Another really laid back herder is the Bouvier. They will go around the 100 lb mark too. Females a bit under males maybe a bit more. I love them too.
I will look into those. My wife wants a St Charles Spaniel. I think they top the scale at 45 pounds. That is maybe the smallest I want.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

I have 2 bull terriers and love them aka known as the dog on target commercials. They have awesome personalities.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

What about going with a Lab? I have a chocolate lab and she is the laziest dog I have ever been around. Of course, as with any dog, she gets her moments of energy where she runs around like a crazy animal.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM

How about this guy hanging out your RV...
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Opinions-like-boss-dog-2.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Still Alive

I love me some Bullies. I just need to convince the wife they are all not like Hooch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.