converting gas fireplace to wood burning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
converting gas fireplace to wood burning

i got a gas fireplace in my house but its not hooked up and i dont want a gas fireplace, i want to convert it to a wood burning fireplace...? any thoughts/ideas/sugestions? i comfterble with construction projects so the work is not the problem, its the safety and "code" that i dont know much about. btw i live in north carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

depending on what kind of gas fireplace it is. if it is just a set of gas logs in a real fireplace, just rip them out and make sure the chimney is good, etc. if it is an insert, you can get a wood burning insert to replace it. of course having a good, safe chimney is of utmost importance. chimney sweeps can inspect and clean for short money, well worth it.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Just something to think about before you get into this.

What is your states policy for no burn days? Out here in CA, I live in a valley and there are days air quality suffers when too many people use their wood burning fireplaces, inserts, even pellet stoves. Then they declare a "No burn day". Maybe you don't have those in NC - If you don't great! Just bringing it up for consideration.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 PM

seriously? what if you heat your home with wood?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM

ya i was born and raised in Ca, i know all about the no burn days, just a bunch of hippy B.S. if you ask me, and no we aint got them days in Nc. and my gas fireplace dont have a chimne, seemed kind weird to me but obviosly i need to add one if im gonna burn wood, just dont know the specifics on it, i have a geneal idea, large metal pipe from inside to outside, seem simple but i know the county code will have something to say about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 PM

a wood burning stove may be a better option than a fireplace, they are more efficient, easier to install, and some can be had with glass doors that allow you to see the fire. either way without an existing chimney you are looking an insert type or a freestanding wood stove. my vote is a aglass doored freestanding stove.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Just something to think about before you get into this.

What is your states policy for no burn days? Out here in CA, I live in a valley and there are days air quality suffers when too many people use their wood burning fireplaces, inserts, even pellet stoves. Then they declare a "No burn day". Maybe you don't have those in NC - If you don't great! Just bringing it up for consideration.
WWWWHHHHHHAAAAATTT! I've never heard of such a thing!

This is an interesting thread and good to know that I'm not the only one that has thought about this. We're in the process of buying a house that has a NG insert. I was wondering what all it would take to put in a real wood burning insert. There isn't a chimney, just a vent that comes out the side of the house. Now the fireplace backs up to the garage so a chimeny could be installed or even double walled pipe but I'm not really sure what the costs would be.

In MI you can burn when every you want. In fact my dad has an outside boiler that burns 24/7 even in the summer to heat the hot water in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.