New to Ski Boats need some help and advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Ski Boats need some help and advice

well where to start, the missus is hounding me to get a ski boat because then its a toy i can have to play with that she can enjoy (as i sold my hot rod to move back to australia last year )

so she is pushing for a ski boat that we can use a heap in summer, what should i be looking for? powerwise? length and inboard or outboard?

i had a little look on kijiji and by the looks of it i can get something that is alright under $10,000.

my next question is the ski rack on all the boats you see are they expensive to get? how many people is good to have on board? what things do i need to look out for?

i grew up sailing cats and tri's but could never affoard a ski boat in australia so nows my chance that i am getting "hounded"

anyway any help and knowledge i could get would be awesome!

oh and another note, i will be living in calgary what winter measures should i be doing to keep it in good condition?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyAussie View Post
well where to start, the missus is hounding me to get a ski boat because then its a toy i can have to play with that she can enjoy (as i sold my hot rod to move back to australia last year )

so she is pushing for a ski boat that we can use a heap in summer, what should i be looking for? powerwise? length and inboard or outboard?

i had a little look on kijiji and by the looks of it i can get something that is alright under $10,000.

my next question is the ski rack on all the boats you see are they expensive to get? how many people is good to have on board? what things do i need to look out for?

i grew up sailing cats and tri's but could never affoard a ski boat in australia so nows my chance that i am getting "hounded"

anyway any help and knowledge i could get would be awesome!

oh and another note, i will be living in calgary what winter measures should i be doing to keep it in good condition?

Cheers
Hey all depends on what kind of skiing your doing. I prefer an inboard wake to an outboard but you can ski behind anything with more than 130hp. You want a boat <18'. Ski's are normally kept in a dry well in the keel. But if you wake board you can put the boards up on the tower if you by a boat equipped with one. You'll want to get a boat place to fully winterize your boat. Generally they will flush all your lines with anti-freeze and blow dry. They will also perform the seasonal maintenance. You may be able to find a place that will do this and store your boat. Good luck on the hunt and let me know what you plan to do with it and I'll try to help you out in getting the best boat for you.

My next boat purchase. Right after the house on the lake when I move back to Nova Scotia.
Ski Nautique 200 Closed Bow, Celebrating 50 Years As The Ultimate 3-Event Ski Boat.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM

ok thanks heaps, yeah it will be wakeboarding and tubes and stuff...

but i will let you know when i get closer to sorting a few to my short list and really appreciate your help.!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Doesn't your wife know that people who own boats are happiest when they sell them? Boats are a serious money pit. All they do is cost money and are a fortune to repair. I have a Malibu Wake Setter VLX which is used for wakeboarding, wake skating, tubing etc. It is definitely not the ideal skiing boat but I wasn't looking for a ski boat either.

I'm from Calgary and am just curious where you plan to use a ski boat. Our boating season is so short that it really isn't worth owning a boat. Only reason I have one is that I have a lake property in Invermere, 2.5 hours away. The lake is overcrowded and gets choppy. We wake up at 5am to do the water sports and the boat is put away just before noon. We usually do a late night session as I have lights mounted on the tower that turn night time into day time. Won't be long before others catch on and my peak season riding time results in boats everywhere at night.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I second the inboard! If you are buying a boat to wakeboard or ski behind you shouldn't be looking at anything other then straight inboard. Most wake boats are gonna be v drive but they are probably more then you want to spend. A great all around boat would be a nice malibu sunsetter lxi which is now called a response lxi. Any malibu, ski nautique, or mastercraft will be what you want shop for your price range and all are great boats. All will have over 300hp and will pull anything you want.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
Doesn't your wife know that people who own boats are happiest when they sell them? Boats are a serious money pit. All they do is cost money and are a fortune to repair. I have a Malibu Wake Setter VLX which is used for wakeboarding, wake skating, tubing etc. It is definitely not the ideal skiing boat but I wasn't looking for a ski boat either.

I'm from Calgary and am just curious where you plan to use a ski boat. Our boating season is so short that it really isn't worth owning a boat. Only reason I have one is that I have a lake property in Invermere, 2.5 hours away. The lake is overcrowded and gets choppy. We wake up at 5am to do the water sports and the boat is put away just before noon. We usually do a late night session as I have lights mounted on the tower that turn night time into day time. Won't be long before others catch on and my peak season riding time results in boats everywhere at night.
haha she knew my hot rod was a money pit...but if she is insisting me get one i dont mind at all.

Northern Saskatuwan, and interior of BC most likely is where we went camping a lot when we lived in calgary a couple of years ago. i do agree though most lakes are over crowded thats my we head to Sask and do the early thing like you and sit around the fire all afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.