Militery pay. Read this - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Militery pay. Read this

An Airman posted this in response to an article he read.

MILITARY PAY: Our G.I.'s make enough ?! CINDY WILLIAMS was appointed by Obama as an Assistant Director for NATIONAL SECURITY in the Congressional
Budget Office. This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about military pay, and it should be printed in all newspapers across America . Ms. Cindy Williams wrote a piece for the Washington Times denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year, citing that she stated a 13% wage increase was more than they deserve. A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this. "Ms. Williams: I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GI's Earn Enough," and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes per month. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after. I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for "Network Technicians" in the Washington , D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience in my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum. I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions. Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN; I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience ." As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone. Obviously, they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them. Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night, and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE's (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor. Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't be nearly long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your open piece. But, tomorrow from KABUL , I will defend to the death your right to say it. You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment right and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective noses at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies. And you, Ms. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? A1C Michael Bragg, Hill AFB AFNCC IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. If you get this more than once, feel honored that you know more than one person who supports our military and appreciates them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Usually, reporters aren't talking about or directing their articles at the men and women on the front lines when they write articles like this but it almost always comes across that way as it is a trickle-down affect. You can't put a monetary price on freedom, safety, or security. Unfortunately, the price comes with the ultimate sacrifice made for the country.

In Canada, there have been two recent newspaper articles about the misappropriation of funds for the military. At least, that's what I'd call it. The Minister of Defense used a Canadian Forces search-and-rescue helicopter at the end of a summer vacation last year to pick him up from a remote fishing lodge and to take him to the nearest airport. This 30 minute flight cost taxpayers $16,000. It was "written off"/deemed acceptable because they called it a training exercise.

Next, we have the Chief of Defense, that has spent more than a million dollars on using government jets for his own personal use since 2008. Many of the flights were to attend sporting events as a representative of the military. He even used the private jet to meet his family in the Caribbean because he missed his commercial carrier flight because of a repatriation ceremony after four soldiers and two journalists were killed by an IED in Afghanistan. This cost taxpayers just under $100,000. I understand that a repatriation ceremony is a significant and important event but I don't think this event justified a $100,000 flight to the Caribbean. Could the General not have left the next day and extend his trip?

Things like this just get under my skin. You have front line soldiers risking their lives, living through hell, dealing with crappy situations day after day and then, you have military brass spending millions on gallivanting around the world on private jets? I too would like to cut their [the General's] spending!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

It is the same in our country. So much money is spent on things that are just not very important at all.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

When my son tells me about the living conditions where he is stationed in S Korea and that he has been moved 3 times because of mold in his room, no frame for his bed so he was sleeping on the floor, 1 set of working washer and dryer for an entire floor of guys and several other items, it does not sit to well reading an article like that. The men and women that serve our country deserve better. Maybe she needs to take a trip out of the country and the soliders over there can just refuse to provide security for her.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Just so you know, the "Cindy Williams" in the article isn't the Cindy Williams from "Laverne and Shirley" fame. The article explains.

snopes.com: Cindy Williams Military Pay Criticism
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM

FYI, they are also cutting our school money. Recently they cut the post 911 GI bill BAH allowances for everyone effective this September. A 200 drop in pay monthly thanks alot!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

It is deplorable.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rønning View Post
It is deplorable.
deplorable isn't even strong enough a word.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Best I could think of as tired as I am from not working hard all day for the Army.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM

My question is who is only getting paid $10k a year in the military? That figure seems way off. Im a PFC in the Army and its not great pay at all, but not that terrible either. Other than that, great read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.