Headache Rack - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to daveosok
Headache Rack

Wha'yall think about the headache rack I made?

The widest sections are 2X6 with a .120 wall thickness. The other sections are 2X2 .25 wall thickness and 2X4 .25 wall thickness.

They will be adorned with "d" rings for tie downs and such.

It sits appx 3 inches above the cab and I built it as a shooting platform also for my hunting camp and target practice for some of the weapons I've built also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

looks great for a shooting rack, a little tall for a headache rack IMO
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
I like it.

That thing looks great IMO. How much time did ya have to put into that to get it done? When I get back to Ohio the cap is coming off and I will build something similar to what you did here. Great job. What awesome shooting support.:uzi:
Old 06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks good! IMO lights would look good on it, a couple facing forward on top and a couple facing the rear under the top bar?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajharley View Post
That thing looks great IMO. How much time did ya have to put into that to get it done? When I get back to Ohio the cap is coming off and I will build something similar to what you did here. Great job. What awesome shooting support.:uzi:
I got plans to build one rj. Me and you are going to have to have a barbeque when you get back. I don't care if it is is in the middle of winter with a ft of snow on the ground. I will fire up the barbeque and throw some venni steaks on it for you.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
cj41foleyisathief

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks good. I whant to make one like that with a tire mount to lay flat with
the roof line.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj41foley View Post
looks great for a shooting rack, a little tall for a headache rack IMO
It had to serve two purposes. One stop the 4 wheeler and anything else form further damage to the bed and cab. Luckily the rear window was never broken. Second be tall enough so that shooting off of it was somewhat pleasant and that the blast was far enough away so that the paint was not damaged. I have plans to have the roof Linx coated anyway since I take my truck just about anywhere I can get it.

It took me about 5 hours to build. It took me 5 hours to get the dang left side bed bolt out. I am in the process right now of removing the fuel tank so I can fully remove the bed bolt. I had to cut the head off of it after using a 1.2 impact, 3/4 impact and finally a 1 inch impact and all I got was the clip-nut movement from side to side. It will attach at the forward bed bolts and be secured to the side bed rails with two 1/2-13 grade 8 bolts.

One thing about Ford is the stupid engineers and there torx head bolts. Sure its a great concept and I like it but dang guys come on a t50 for a 5/8ths inch bolt it should be like a t80 or so.

I twisted 4 T50 bits and then drilled off the head. I can tell you the bolts are a tough as they claim.

I had it Linx coated and picked it up today. I am working on a new version for those who don't need the shooting rail up top.

Lights would only interfere with the shooting platform and you cant use lights when your hunting anyway

A tire mounted over the cab would be easy to make. I already have plans to make a rail that extends over the cab with scallops on it for the forearm support of rifles.

Last edited by daveosok; 06-20-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveosok View Post
It had to serve two purposes. One stop the 4 wheeler and anything else form further damage to the bed and cab. Luckily the rear window was never broken. Second be tall enough so that shooting off of it was somewhat pleasant and that the blast was far enough away so that the paint was not damaged. I have plans to have the roof Linx coated anyway since I take my truck just about anywhere I can get it.

It took me about 5 hours to build. It took me 5 hours to get the dang left side bed bolt out. I am in the process right now of removing the fuel tank so I can fully remove the bed bolt. I had to cut the head off of it after using a 1.2 impact, 3/4 impact and finally a 1 inch impact and all I got was the clip-nut movement from side to side. It will attach at the forward bed bolts and be secured to the side bed rails with two 1/2-13 grade 8 bolts.

One thing about Ford is the stupid engineers and there torx head bolts. Sure its a great concept and I like it but dang guys come on a t50 for a 5/8ths inch bolt it should be like a t80 or so.

I twisted 4 T50 bits and then drilled off the head. I can tell you the bolts are a tough as they claim.

I had it Linx coated and picked it up today. I am working on a new version for those who don't need the shooting rail up top.

Lights would only interfere with the shooting platform and you cant use lights when your hunting anyway

A tire mounted over the cab would be easy to make. I already have plans to make a rail that extends over the cab with scallops on it for the forearm support of rifles.
So it is legal to hunt from a vehicle in Ga huh. Maybe I should move then.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 AM

Yes you can hunt Hogs from a vehicle that is not under power meaning non moving or running it must be stationary and the engine off. On my lease of 12 thousand acres I could probably hunt off of it anywhere at anytime if I were a poacher or renegade but at last I'm just a hunter.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveosok View Post
Yes you can hunt Hogs from a vehicle that is not under power meaning non moving or running it must be stationary and the engine off. On my lease of 12 thousand acres I could probably hunt off of it anywhere at anytime if I were a poacher or renegade but at last I'm just a hunter.
Cool wish I could do that in Michigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.