Way To Go Arizona's Own - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Way To Go Arizona's Own

I have alway been a Joe Gibbs racing fan and a huge tony stewart fan. I was born and raised on the dirt tracks of arizona. Growing up watching the likes of Ron Shuman, Billy Boat, Lelland Mcspaden and a host of awesome dirt racers. On Night This kid Jumped into a 360 sprint car out of the blue and wheeled that car to a third place finish in the feture. Today he is sitting on the Pole for Sundays Nascar race, JJ Yeley. When he first was signed to JGR many had no clue who he was. I recall watching a race on the big screen his rookie year and telling my friends he has what it takes to be in nascar, they laughed. They had never been to a dirt track in there lives. I said just wait a few years.

JJ still currently holds the usac track record at manzanita speedway here in Phx.
JJ is also one of two that have won the usac triple crown. The other Tony Stewart. JJ finished 2nd to stewart at the 2006 chilli bowl race and much like Tony he will jump in a dirt car and grin from ear to ear.

I just wanted to throw this out and Say Congrats to JJ and his JGB team. Lets Go JJ, Tony and Denny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
I'll second that one. I followed dirt track stuff myself.. and knew a little about JJ when he hit Nascar. I had no doubt that he had what it takes to be successful. BTW... I grew up about an hour south of Tony's hometown... and have friends who raced go-karts with him.

You named some killer racer there. Leland McSpadden is a legend. Not only was I close to Tony, but also was about an hour away from Kinser Kountry!! Took 20 mins max to get to Brownstown Speedway (1/4 mile high bank dirt) and I've watched all the greats roll through there at some point in Late Models.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Banned

We just had the Lelland Legacy race at manzy about a Month ago. He was there telling stories all night and signing autographs.

There a new kid on the block I'm sure you have heard about, Chad Boat. Billys son. This kid is probably the best wheel I have seen in a long time. There are still some good racers out there. Casey Shuman is up and coming and jeremy sherman is always the man to beat. I used to love to watch this old boy by the name of Ricky Hood ( killer racing name ). I think he's running on the east coast now

Back in the day we used to run late models now we only see them maybe twice a year. They are a blast to watch
Old 06-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Is it even worth it???

I've not kept up with it over the last few years like I did when I was growing up. Some of the new names aren't so familiar anymore.

Some of the guys I've watched in Late Models... wow... Scott Bloomquist, Freddy Smith, Don O'neal, Jim Curry, John Gill. Lots of others.. just hard to think of who might be nationally known.

Did get the pleasure of watching McSpadden race one time.. CRA made a Midwest tour and had a Wed night stop at B'town... was a lot of fun watching those guys run without wings.

If the Boat kid got anything from his dad, he'll have to have some talent.. same with the Shumans.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was at Tony Stewart's "Prelude to the Dream" race where 26 NASCAR and NHRA drivers were racing dirt late modle cars. It was fun watching them run, several did very well, Carl Edwards won but Kyle Busch was hooked up on top and coming, 5 more laps and he would have won. The driver that impressed me, RON CAPPS! That funny car driver can drive a late model.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Is it even worth it???

I didn't get to see that race, wish I had. Capps finished way down the list, but got into a wreck if I remember reading the results correctly.

So you are saying the drag racer actually knows how to turn left???
Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Capps would have won his heat race but he had a few restarts and the NASCAR guys got a jump on him. I thought he did a great job and was a supercool guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.