'03 Chevy Impala Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'03 Chevy Impala Problems

My girlfriend's got an '03 Chevy Impala & she's been having all sorts of different cooling system issues. Recently, the car had overheated & the car was brought to some quack that just replaced the waterpump & filled it back with green(instead of Dex-Cool)anti-freeze. A couple of days ago, it was running really hot on her & she had to leave it @ work. Today, I went down there to have a look @ it & I noticed one of the purge fittings that you're supposed to "burp" the system with after refilling the cooling system was snapped off. I know these fittings MUST be opened when burping the system & if they're not, the cooling fans don't kick on & there's no heat(which is what's been happening all along). I've tried to look up these fittings online & can't find them. Does anyone know what they're called and/or where to get them besides a dealership if possible? Also; does anyone know the 100% correct way to purge the cooling system with these fittings open? I know there's gotta be someone on the .Org who has a wife, son, or daughter that owns one of these inferior machines! Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Hmmmmm? Just had my wife's 01 Impala's intake gasket leak fixed. Never heard of these burpers before? I'll look around and let you know if I find anything. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:10 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Hmmmmm? Just had my wife's 01 Impala's intake gasket leak fixed. Never heard of these burpers before? I'll look around and let you know if I find anything. Good luck.
Thanks, Hank! I appreciate you looking for me! I had never heard of these burpers either until I had worked @ an oil change & tune up place(you know---the places that change your oil & then try to sell you a bunch of other crap like airfilters, tune-ups, etc.). If I remember correctly, you need these bleeders open while burping the system or it doesn't purge correctly & you get these issues. All I can say, Hank: I HATE GMs!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Thanks, Hank! I appreciate you looking for me! I had never heard of these burpers either until I had worked @ an oil change & tune up place(you know---the places that change your oil & then try to sell you a bunch of other crap like airfilters, tune-ups, etc.). If I remember correctly, you need these bleeders open while burping the system or it doesn't purge correctly & you get these issues. All I can say, Hank: I HATE GMs!!!
You got that right! I have too many of them in my driveway too. I have my late parents '98 pickup and '01 Impala and my son has a '97 Tahoe. Vortec engines are crap! Looking forward to getting all of them out of my sight. I hate 'em too!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
You got that right! I have too many of them in my driveway too. I have my late parents '98 pickup and 01 Impala and my son has a 97 Tahoe. Vortec engines are crap! looking forward to getting all of them out of my sight. I hate 'em too!
I know you're serious, but you've got a funny friggin' way with words! I hear ya on all counts!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I think the way to use the burp ports, is to open them with the car running and let it get up to operating temp and let em burp coolant until there is no more air bubbles coming out. I would assume you leave the pressure cap on to force all air out. Those valves should be higher than anyother opening on the cooling system i think. That way the air goes to the highest point to escape. If i am wrong someone please correct me. I don't work on GM's that much (anymore). Like Hank said too, they are known for the intakes to leak. THere was a recall for them. It might have something to do with your overheating. Watch the oil very close. My neighbor destroyed his 97 3100 in his grand am by allowing the intake to leak and fill the crank with coolant.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Close but no cigar. Wrong years? Does have how-to instructions though.

coolant bleeder valve
Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Looks like some help toward the bottom of this thread?

"burping" The Cooling System / Bleeding Air / Weak Heater - GM-Trucks.com
Old 02-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

All the time I have right now. Keep me posted.

Coolant Bleeder Valve (Nickel plated or Brass) - Chevy Impala SS Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.