Acetone in fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Acetone in fuel

Has anybody heard of adding acetone to your fuel in diesels and gassers for better fuel mileage? Apparently the argument is that it thins out your fuel for better atomization... Im hearing 3oz for every 10gallons in gassers and 2oz for diesels. Better atomization=better fuel mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have heard about it, but never looked to see if its true or not. But I used to add it to my mustangs gas tank to get it to pass aircare (emissions testing in BC). I have heard it is bad for rubber seals in your fuel system, and especially hard on head gaskets. But this is only what I have heard. Hopefully someone here knows more...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
one day at a time

Google "acetone in fuel". It's bunk, not worth trying. Every article I searched said it actually decreased mileage. Myth busters tried it and found the same according to what I read.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Ihre Mama mag mich

i add angorian goat urine to mine it helps with fuel mileage and increaces injector replacement
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone-etr1 View Post
i add angorian goat urine to mine it helps with fuel mileage and increaces injector replacement
hey i have an angorian goat im sooooo gonna go try it. lmao.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Thanks guys
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

I have used it in gas and diesel. Heres a article I found-
  • Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage - Acetone said to improve the fuel's ability to vaporize completely by eliminating the surface tension that causes an increase in particulate vaporization temperature. (PESN; March 18, 2005)
A growing number of people are reporting their results, as tabulated here. Most have noted modest increased mileage (e.g. 2-15%), more power, more stable idle, faster start-up, cleaner emmissions. Part of that improvement is likely to be from the cleaning of the engine that the acetone accomplishes, without impinging lubricity. A few have not seen an increase in mileage at the concentration of acetone they tried. Too much acetone decreases mileage. Some have reported that Alcohol in the fuel tends to reduce the positive effects of acetone. No one has yet reported damage to their campervan hire australia engine from acetone being added to the fuel. Several have soaked fuel components in pure acetone for extended periods and have not seen substantial effect other than some minor swelling.online degree
Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

WATER CARRYING PROPERTIES OF ALCOHOL COMPARED TO ACETONE:
The water carrying properties of alcohol and acetone are essentially the same. One drop of water in many gallons of either alcohol or acetone will completely dissolve. Similarly one drop of acetone or alcohol in many gallons of water will completely dissolve. Neither can be seperated again without major effort.
Obviously the amount of damage to fuel system injectors, etc. is porportional to the amount of water, right on up to pumping pure water through them.
3.5 ozs acetone per 10 gallons gasoline is about a 0.3 percent concentration. ethanol gas contains up to 10 percent of alcohol.
NO damage to fuel injected engines is cause by 10% ethanol else it would be forbidden on the market.
Therefore the same will apply to acetone concentrations up to 10%.
There is no difference in combustion products from acetone compared to alcohol. Both are made up of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
Therefore, the water damage done from 10% ethanol in gas will be 50 times worse than that from .3% acetone, as is plainly obvious, and BOTH will depend on how much water you have in your tank from contamination. The alcohol will carry away tank water 50 times faster than the acetone in the concentrations usually used. In the usual trace amounts of water, the ethanol gas will corrode things 50 times faster than acetone use. NEITHER CAUSE ANY PROBLEM, for ethanol gas is used everywhere, and no problems are known to the government or it would prohibit sale of ethanol gas.
As for diesel, without getting into the 57 reported mixtures of disel used in USA, you can be sure some diesels have water carriers similar to acetone or ethanol in them, with NO trouble reported or the mixes would be outlawed. Thus any worry about diesel is trival, and about gasoline is zero.
Therefore I would ignore worries that using acetone in gasoline would cause injector or pump damage. The numbers simply nullify that worry.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

Allso go to PureEnergySystems.com > News for the benifits of Acetone use.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This thread looks a bit old, but with my latest results, I have to post.

I've been using acetone in my 2005 F250 6.0L since I've bought it (65000 miles at purchase, 85000 now). I have no problems that I didn't already have. The EGR cooler had to be replaced, and it's a bit rough in the cold mornings until it warms up. The acetone (aprox 2 oz per 10 gal) hasn't changed anything.

Now, the big ones:
My old Ford E150 with the 5.8L gas engine, same amount of acetone per 10 gallons, showed a 15% gain in mileage, and passed the smog test like a new van. Towing 9000 pounds, mileage increased from 6.8 to 9 mpg.

I put it in my BMW motorcycle, mileage increases and I can feel a slight power increase.

I put it in the wife's car, a 2002 Mercedes Benz S500. I usually get 23 mpg on the freeway, but with acetone, I get 26. But the last smog check showed:
CO - 0 (ZERO)
NO - 0 (ZERO)
HC - 0 (ZERO)
The car has 105,000 miles on it.

There are those who believe acetone works.
I KNOW acetone works.

I have yet to have one of those seals or gaskets or injectors fail on me. And I buy the acetone by the gallon from the hardware store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.