JOSH!!!! (westcoaststrokin)... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JOSH!!!! (westcoaststrokin)...

I was watching Crimson Tide, and I was wondering if the way the movies portray the chain of command, with the XO, and Captain, chief of the boat, etc is accurate? like when the captain says..."Cheif of the Boat, make your depth one-five-zero feet" then the cheif of the boat instructs the drivers......is that really how they do it? or does the captain tell the drivers directly? It might be a silly question, I've just always wondered if they portray it right, I love submarine movies...... and by the wya, what is the "bubble" like when they say 3 degrees down bubble??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Well the chain of command is one of the few things that is accurate in that movie. The CO is overall responsible for the actions of the boat. The XO is the one that implements the skippers policies. It works the best when you have a good skipper and a hard XO. That way the skipper can maintain the crews trust. The COB is the senior enlisted guy and is responsible for all of the enlisted folks.

The "drivers" are the Helmsman (controls the Fairwaters and the rudder) and the Outboard or Sternsman (he controls the stern planes). The helm works for the Officer of the deck for course and the Diving Officer (usually a Chief) for depth. The Stern works for the Dive for ships angle (the bubble).

Here is a typical trip to PD (periscope depth)
OOD: Helm steer course North
Helm: Steer course North aye. Steady on course North.
OOD: Dive make your depth (classified)
Dive: Make my depth (classified) Aye
Dive: Full rise on the Fairwaters. Full rise on the Stern planes. Three degree up bubble.

The ship goes up. As it approaches PD.

Dive: Helm make your depth (classified) Outboard maintain a two degree up bubble.

Hope that clears it up for you Ian. BTW as a Sub Sailor the best sub movie is Das Boot and Crimson Tide is a great comedy.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 AM

thanks for the explanation josh, it's amazing the kind of questions you can get answered here on the Org!!!!! I will def watch Das Boot, i can't remember ever seeing it.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Still Alive

Make sure that you watch the German version with subtitles. Way better than the english version.

ETA: The helm and outboard are the generally the most junior guys on watch and that may be the first watch that they have qualified.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:23 AM

oh one other question, i don't know if every submariner has or not, but have you ever been on a sub doing an "emergency blow" or whatever it is when they blow all the water out of the ballast tanks (i think) and pop out of the water like a cork? i've seen video of it, it seems like that would be wild ride!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post
Make sure that you watch the German version with subtitles. Way better than the english version.
will do!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
oh one other question, i don't know if every submariner has or not, but have you ever been on a sub doing an "emergency blow" or whatever it is when they blow all the water out of the ballast tanks (i think) and pop out of the water like a cork? i've seen video of it, it seems like that would be wild ride!!!!!!
Yep I have done that several times. Heck I have even pulled the chicken switches to actuate the system. We have to do it once a year to prove the system still works and to exercise the system. It depends on the class of Sub on how fun the ride is. On Fast attacks it is really fun where as on Tridents it is kind of a let down. Then again a Trident is like a Mack truck and a Fast Attack is like a Ferrari so it makes sense.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 AM

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Josh....and thank you for your service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.