Speeding Ticket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speeding Ticket

Okay, I know that I am probably going to have people here telling me to just suck it up and not be a baby, but I am just asking for any advise. This evening I was headed home from our friends house after a day at the junkyard. I was in my Taurus and had the cruise control set at 70. I was in no hurry, my wife was in the car with me and were were just chitchatting, the radio wasnt even on. We come around a bend, and I see a cop on the shoulder and just as a automatic reaction, I slowed down a little bit. I also had been getting blown past by everyone on the highway for a while, but it seemed like just in that moment, I was driving faster than everyone else. I see him hit his brakes just as I come into his full view and I told my wife, i bet he is going to pull me over. Just then, he hit the lights and I put on my signal, pulled over, turned on the dome lights and put all 4 windows down. We were on a highway, btw 77, to be exact.

Cop comes up gets my lisence and registration and walks off. I told my wife I swore I thought the speed limit was 70, as this is a stretch of the highway I never drive, the stretch I drive to and from work on this same highway is 70 both directions... She said no, its 65. So I said well, i had the cruise set at 70, I dont think he is going to give me a ticket for 5 over. Well, he comes back, gives me a ticket for 78 in a 65 and a warning because my registration didnt have my signature on it...

So anyway, its 130 dollar fine, I didnt argue with the cop, I was perfecty nice, it was all yes sir, no sir, thank you sir. My car has stock wheels and stock sized tires, the car has no mods.

Anyone have any advise? I didnt argue with the cop because I kinda figure if they pulled you over, they are going to give you a ticket no matter what... gotta make it worth their time. Just 78??? My speedo said 70.

Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

might be hard to prove but, see about getting your speedo certified, also when was his radar last been certified.(ever heard of a tree going 70) but in the end the law usually wins.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM

This may sound pretty obvious, but just a thought, you didnt' happen to be coming down a hill, or a slight grade did you? I know in my f-150 if I set the cruise (which i never use anymore cause I hate not being in complete control of my truck) my cruise won't hold the truck back, it just lets it coast no matter what the cruise is set at.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:43 PM

or was there heavy traffic and he picked up the wrong vehicle by mistake? i would fight it if i were you. bring your wife to testify your cruise was set if you are positive about it. hope you get out of it.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Bring your wife in as a witness and have her testify that you had the cruise set at 70. Was there any other cars around? Like Jeff said he could have very easily picked up another car and thought it was you. Either way 130 bucks for 13 over isn't too bad.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

and always ask to look at the radar.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:29 AM

I dont know what state youre in...BUT you might check to see if there is something called PBJ (probation before judgement)
In essence ,you would be admitting guilt with a suitable reason. In my case,in MD,the fine was halved and MOST important,the "conviction stopped at the judges level. Insurance co's do NOT have access to the records nor do all LEO's.
If PBJ's are available,there are a couple pursuits for you....
1 Why did you think the speed limit was differant? Take a ride back to the route and look for signs posted. Maybe the sign was not posted correctly.Maybe the state did not follow their OWN state requirements. Maybe its reasonable that you missed a sign.
2 I have plead PBJ based on pics alone..not to argue the LAW...but to present why you made the mistake. I would borrow a GPS and take a pic of it with your speedo in the backround.If it displays an error...get it corrected and present all info to the judge.
3 If you find something along the way that shows the state to be lacking...fight the case. I have encountered a few items in my( or my friends) driving career. Yellow lights that switch too fast,signs that were not posted properly,and the MOST common is painted street markings that are worn or faded

In PBJ,s in MD...the officer does not appear in court..you have assumed guilt...with a substantiating reason. If you come to the judges attetion again within two years,he may
penalise you with the full ticket later on...
When I am pulled over and he gives me a warning or a violation....and he says "drive safe" or "be careful" THAT is when I have the hardest time with being stopped. You see....I have 3 DECADES of driving under my belt.(cars,trucks,motorcycles,and all three of them with trailers) I estimate one and a half million miles. I have never injured myself or anyone else while driving.I have never had a single insurance claim as the result of my driving. I HAVE however been rearended FIVE differant times.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Dano, get a GPS unit or borrow one from a friend, and check what it says at different speeds compared to your car. Just because your speedo says 55 or 70, doesnt mean thats what your going. My F350 is right on the money, my F250 at 55, Im really going 53 according to GPS, and thats with factory tire size. My 01 Grand Marquis at 55 Im going 54.

If you did have your cruise set at 70, I cant see how it could be 8 off.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

Did he give you a receipt from the radar? If not he has no proof anymore that he caught you going 78.

Pretty easy to get out of a speeding ticket in court.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Make sure you go to court to try and get it reduced. If not, the insurance companies will make you pay. Its always better to pay an extra hundred or so now than to pay an extra thousand in insurance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.