GPS Conversion Software (Free) with Directions!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GPS Conversion Software (Free) with Directions!!!

Well as some of you know I work with GPS for a living. And over the years I have had to work with some really crappy software, but I have found a program which is free, that has literally made my life of converting points a breeze.

this program is called GPSBABEL and you can download it for free at this site, GPSBabel Downloads
(look for the supported version of your choice)

This software will let you move points from many different brands of GPS units into programs such as Auto cad, Google Earth, (Igage) All Topo Maps, Garmin software, Lowrance software, Delorme software, Excel files, word documents... the choices are endless.

I mainly use this for Google Earth(GE)... I can make trails and waypoints on existing roads/ washes in the aerial photos of GE using their line tools. save the information as a .KML file and convert it to a .GDB for Garmin and then use the software that came with my garmin to import my work.

Like wise I can use the software to do the reverse. Here's the easy steps

Step 1
Open GE, select your desired points.

Step 2
Save your points in a selected .KML file

Step 3
Open GPSBABEL and select GE KML as your source file type

Step 4
Select your output file type, mine happens to be .GDB for Garmin users you will have the same

Step 5
Select your input file by clicking on the GOLDEN file button on the right side of the program box
(sorry it go cut off in my pictures)

Step 6
select your Saved To file , by clicking on the Red save button on the right of the program screen (again this has been cut off) then type in the file name you would like to save your file as.

Step 7
Now that you have all the information entered, you will see that a "LETS GO" button has become active.... Click it
Now you will see the file saving information in the lower half of the window... if the file failed for any reason, it will tell you there.

Step 8
open your GPS software, (mine happens to be Garmin)
and go to your open file tab... Select the file you just created.

your points should be displayed on the screen

Step 9
Now your ready to connect your GPS unit to the computer and load your file:thumbsup:

I hope that this helps you guys out, have fun with your GPS units and as always if there's something I can help you out with... LET ME KNOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.