The time is coming - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
The time is coming

Winter time that is, which usually means hard cold starts, no start issues, dead batteries, gelled fuel.

As we prepare our houses for the dreeded winter that is upon us. Take a day to prepare your truck. Test the batteries, check your alternator, check the accessory drive belt, how good are your tires do they have good tread to get your through the winter, have you been having cold weather hard starts. Might want to think about having the glow plug system checked out, what about that fuel filter have you replaced it lately? If you have 4wd does it work properly? If not may want to get that fixed. Do you have a block warmer, how is the cord, does the block warmer work? Something else to check out.

These are just somethings to think about before it is cold and snow is flying and your sitting on the side of the road broke down freezing your butt off waiting for that tow truck.

Somethings you might want to put in your truck.
Shovel, anti gell fuel additive, Blanket or two, gloves, hat, scarf, what if you have to walk a mile do you have the means to stay warm during that mile walk.

Why am I talking about this now when it is still 80 degrees in Michigan. Well a little story to go with this.

Last winter we had a wind chill of -60 here in Michigan. I never had a problem with gelling fuel. Well my truck fired up just fine. I started driving to work. I got about 4 miles down the road and my truck stalled out. Acted like I ran out of fuel. You guessed it the fuel gelled up in the tank. I was stuck on the side of the road heading to work. I called work told them what happened. I called tripple A, they told me I would have a tow truck there with in 30 minutes. I got a phone call back from tripple A at 45 minutes asking me if the tow truck showed up yet. I told them no and I was getting very cold. They put me as a priority 1 tow. Meaning it was an emergency. I ended up calling 911 at the 1 hour mark. I could not feel my toes any more and I was shivering severely. They sent a sherrif car to me. I got in that warm car. Then the tow truck showed up at the 1.5 hour mark from when I first made the intitial call.

I didn't think I would ever need a blanket in my truck to go 10 minutes to work. I had hat and gloves but at -60 outside they weren't warm enough.

I did what I thought I had to do before my core temp dropped to much. I needed to get warm and quick. So I called 911 to get a cop or fire truck something to get me in a warm vehicle.

They towed my truck to the local ford dealer, parked it overnight in the heated shop. The next morning my truck fired up and ran like nothing was wrong with it. They dumped in some fuel additive and I went and picked up my truck. The dealer did not charge me for this. Not even for the additive.

So while it is still nice and warm out prepare yourself for what is coming. Because in a couple months it will be cold and snowing. Don't put yourself in my position.

By the way my cold weather training from the Marines probably helped me out as well. My core temp when the cop got there according to the thermometer from his first aid kit I was 90 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM
wriott

great post...

one more thing to add... as this happened to me

for the people that do ALOT of traveling and fill up in different states... GET TREATED FUEL with anti jell if you are going to cold climates. i made a run down south when that cold streak hit Michigan. i filled up in KY and also filled up my aux tank... thankfully i made it home but the next morning when i went to start up the truck it wouldnt start. pulled the fuel filter and the filter looked like jelly.

So remember if you fill up when its warm and are going into cold weather get treated fuel or put additive in it
Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i worked 4 AAA and i had the tow truck fuel gell up on me...truck hardly got over the little bridge i wuz goin over...i called the shop and they just kinda ignored the fact and told me 2 go 2 my call...about 2 mins later i called them 2 tell them the truck died and i wuz waitin on the side of the road 4 them 2 come and tow me back 2 the shop...i knew wut happed and i told them...they put the body in the shop 4 a little and then about 30mins later, truck started rite up...and they had 2 drain the water, which i told them there wuz water in the fuel lite wuz on...another thing they ignored...it wuz only on for about 2 weeks !!!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
good time to remind people. im in tex so im ok atm
Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Note To Self.....what the hell are they talking about?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchip View Post
Note To Self.....what the hell are they talking about?

something about -60 * weather. to my knowledge thats impossible from what we are taught in school.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:23 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If you Texans came to Michigan to deer hunt you would not last a minute in the woods.

Typical deer hunting weather in Michigan is about 30 degrees on a sunny day. Usually in the 20s on average.

I have hunted deer in 10 degree weather as well.

But what I am talking about is for us northern people mainly. Get your trucks ready for winter. Because it is around the corner.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post

something about -60 * weather. to my knowledge thats impossible from what we are taught in school.
It gets colder than +60*??
Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

That is a good list of things you have. It isn't quite as cold in Pa but this does remind me I need to fix my block heater soon.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
If you Texans came to Michigan to deer hunt you would not last a minute in the woods.

Typical deer hunting weather in Michigan is about 30 degrees on a sunny day. Usually in the 20s on average.

I have hunted deer in 10 degree weather as well.

But what I am talking about is for us northern people mainly. Get your trucks ready for winter. Because it is around the corner.
I've hunted pheasants in Kansas below 0 with a wind. And then I came back to Texas. The high today was only about 74. I'm concerned I may have to wear something besides shorts before christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.