New Hobby: Heating house with wood!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Hobby: Heating house with wood!!!

Hey guys, I have made alot of friends on here so I figure its worth me discuss other things going on in my life, because I am sure there are a ton more folks here that have the same interests.

I am in the process of getting a fireplace insert installed in my "new" 1922 house I just bought this year, and going to supplement if not totally take over the heating of my house with firewood. The model I am getting is a Quadrafire 5100i.

5100I - Wood Model from Quadra-Fire

Its way over-rated for my house size, but it fits nicely in the size fireplace I have.

The biggest thing to pass along is some of that "Good Ole like its growing on trees Obama Reform $$" Part of the Economic Reform Act there is a stipulation for a $1500 tax credit for Biomass furnaces, and energy efficient appliances and fixtures. So this fireplace insert falls into the Biomass furnace with a efficiency of better than 75%. What also qualifies for this tax credit is pellet stoves, solid fuel home furnaces and I think tankless water heaters. There are also things to look into like Windows and doors but you will have to find the bill and look that up what qualifies.

Quadrafire is having a Stihl Chainsaw promo till the end of Sep with the purchase of a QF stove/fireplace/insert a $200 gift certificate. So I plan on adding into my fleet of tools:

STIHL MS390

Chain Saws - STIHL MS 390 Chain Saw - Mid-Range Use - STIHL USA

I dont have much time this year to get good seasoned wood ready, but my father is helping me out since I am away for military training.

I grew up heating with wood, and its great for me to finally get my own house and be able to carry on the tradition. Anybody else into wood heating, and chainsaws?

Going to put this PSD to work hauling wood!!!

Last edited by AFBLUE; 09-12-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is a very nice looking wood burner!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM
back in the saddle

I like the ambience of a fireplace too, but efficiency wise a wood burning stove is much better. Just not as nice to look at.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

I love our wood burner but it does make alot of dust and dirt. It does a great job of heating the house though!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
wriott

i also heat with wood, love doing it as i have always cut wood growing up... just need to find more trees to cut up (i only cut dead or fallen timber)
Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A wood stove is a lil more work but it just gives more of a country feeling to the house I think!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
are you guys talking about heating the whole house with wood? no need to turn the heat on in the winter?

i like the idea, and have cut wood with my dad since i was young. Saves a good amount of money i would imagine
Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Nothing feels as warm as wood heat... can't explain why, but it just seems to do a better job!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
I like the ambience of a fireplace too, but efficiency wise a wood burning stove is much better. Just not as nice to look at.
Yeah the Stoves do have a better efficency, upwards of 85-90% vs fireplace inserts that top out about 80%, but its far more efficient than an open fire in a fireplace which are rated at 0-20% net home heating.

These new EPA certified stoves and fireplace have a secondary burn system that routes the wood gases back in the flame and send less smoke up the chimney, dont smell hardly as much and are completely safe becuase all the air control is internal so you dont have to leave the door open to get the fire started.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 AM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOBB View Post
Nothing feels as warm as wood heat... can't explain why, but it just seems to do a better job!!!
You're absolutely right about that...

Only downside is it's such a dry heat, but it's an easy fix with a small humidifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.