User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So the other night at work.....

I was in triage and talking to one of our techs (Transports patients, takes vital signs, etc...) and it was like opening a time capsule. Let me explain....

He is in his late 80's, and works to stay active. As we sat there, I asked him where he grew up and he said in the Waco area, and then he went on to tell me about gowing up in Central Texas as a little boy.

He talked about picking cotton, working on farms, as World War II came along he served in the Army Air Corps as a ball turret gunner on a B-17. He talked about taking steam engine driven trains back and forth across the country after World War II, of being a salesman and traveling from Waco to South Texas, into Mexico for business. Talking about friends and family that had come and gone.

He lamented on how safe and simple it was back then. If he was somewhere on the border he would drive into Mexico, have dinner, a drink or two and drive back to the US, no problems, no hassles, etc....

He talked about driving on two lane roads vs. interstates, seeing different changes coming along, taking his 80 year old mother to see the Concorde when it came in for an airshow.

This is probably one of those "You had to be there" stories, and I wish I could tell it word for word. As I sat there and listened to him in the back of my mind I kept hearing Jamie Johnson's song "In color".

For me it was an awesome experience and I just thought I'd share.

Remember Ft. Hood

And never forget who did it

Religion of peace my жопа

Originally Posted by JK23112 View Post

Ah, we can lead a man to knowledge.....but we can't make him think.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
Awesome. Simply awesome. I don't know about you, but it's amazing the things you can learn if you just let folks talk. There's nothing like it.

'95 F-250HD
ZF 5-Speed 13'' clutch w/ SMF conversion
B&W Gooseneck
Custom Spare Tire Mount

post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Premium Member
I think that this is a prime example of why they are refered to as The Greatest Generation. It makes me sick when I think of what the healthcare bill is supposed to do to these hard working veterans of American society.

On a similar note, I post frequently on a local forum, and typically argue with the austin, tx liberals that are flooding into our town. Yestersay an elderly man came in to order food. He asked about the owner and the employees all pointed me out. I'm thinking what the hell happened now. He walks up and introduces himself and gives me his screen name and then says that he and I agree on many issues that are discussed.

I was honored.

PSD- yea, I finally got one.

"Beware the Prophet
seeking profit" Dennis Miller on Algore

'11 F-250, CC, 4X4, KR
post #4 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My parents are in their late 70's. Sometimes I can just pick a life topic and ask a question. Off they go - Good stuff I didn't know about their lives as they grew up. Stuff that should be known because it's a integral part of where I came from.

Thanks for sharing, BTW!!!

Owner / Operator: Darryl
My Truck: 2001 F350 | 7.3L PSD | 4R100 | Crew Cab | Long Bed | 4x4 - 222,000 miles - 10 Years of ownership
Mods: Autometer Z-series Gauges | K&N GenII FIPK | MBRP 4" TB Exhaust | Hypertech PP3 | Toyo OC ATII (LT285/75R16 "E") | SilverStar 9007/9145 | Dura-Flap Mud Flaps
Usage: DD | 5er Puller
Tow Toy: Pilgrim International 31RE3SLF5
U.S. Navy - IC2 - '76-'80
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had that same thought when my grandfathter would tell stories of WWII.

I cannot imagine the stories I will tell my grandkids...or kids younger than me will tell their grandkids. C'mon. What can I do? Brag about my awesome childhood? Oh we had to move once! Woe was me...haha seriously though.

No generation since the WWII crowd has experienced strife. Sure small catastrophes (hurricanes, floods, etc) but nothing nearly as endearing or amazing as WWII, the coming of technology into the homes, the Great Depression...

I'm a wh0re for free stuff
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode