302 build questions, what fits? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off Road Motorsports ATV's, Dirt Bikes, Everything OffRoad

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
302 build questions, what fits?

I am building a small block engine for 1967 F100 and need some help with parts selections. Due to a bad craigslist purchase I now have two engines to build off of, a complete 302 or a 351W short block non roller. If I have to do a complete build I will use the 351 but if I just need a top end then I will likely use the 302. I am looking for something with a lot of sound and good street performance but donít need anything over the top.

I want to use a set of GT40 aluminum heads with 202int valves and am worried about clearance issues. I also have an old new set of roller rockers I believe they are 1:7 but will have to verify. This is not a daily driver and I donít expect to take any road trips in it so I want a big noisy cam. Any ideas what will clear or what I should stay away from?

The good parts I have are:
302 could be freshened up
351w needs rebuild
E7TE heads could be freshened up
GT40 heads with 202 valves new (not purchased yet but have a deal thatís hard to resist)
1:7 roller rockers
302 edelbrock intake new
302 MSD distributor new, will this work on the 351?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

as far as cams, go alot of ppl run e303, (believe an f303?)x303 is probably the nastiest one i have ever heard in a mustang all for the 302. u have to watch out for clearence issues with the x cam though but it does sound pretty nasty. and as far as heads personally on my mustang i like the gt40p's thats been ported and polished a lot of my friends spent the money and use aluminum but takes a lot more heat to warp cast. my mustang has stock pistons, high volume oil pump, bigger injectors, cam dont remember witch one have to look. trick flow upper and lower, cold air, heads, headers, so on and so forth and it ran damn good
Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM

I am not doing a roller cam, I have heard there can be clearence issues with the 202 valves?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the clearance issues come with the valve lift, 1.7 rockers will make it worse. My brother and I built a 289 with 2.02 valves, you can check for clearance and notch the piston tops for clearance if needed. On a 302 the next smaller valves will do just as well because the will be less shrouded by the cylinder walls.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
be a cheapo and port the 351 heads and throw them on the 302 and just freshin it up a bit. bit better milage and probably a bit cheaper in the long run swapping over the 351 heads.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
393 Stroker is the way to go man... It should make over 400hp with some good heads and intake and will have a torque curve like a table top. 302 pistons, 351 connecting rods and you'll need to buy a stroker crank(~3-400 new.) Used to call it the poor man's stoker kit.

GT40 heads are ok... They are a step up from stock 302 heads but not by much... You could find used trickflow heads for less than 600 bucks out there. Also there's a company on ebay called ProComp that bought all edlebrocks old castings and now they make heads on their own name and the port the **** out of them. Under a grand usually for heads worth twice that.

The distributor for the 302 will not work in the 351. You need a 351 distributor. Get a custom cam made for your application. Usually don't cost much more than an off the shelf cam and you can get it made for the 1.7 rockers that you already have. Plus you get the lumpy cam with the power band you want.

Last edited by garbonzo1991gt; 09-06-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.