Educate me on dirt bikes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off Road Motorsports ATV's, Dirt Bikes, Everything OffRoad

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Educate me on dirt bikes

In my search for a new hobby I've decided to take up dirt biking. Grew up on 4 wheelers, horses, and playing golf. Figured I'd try dirt biking next. So with that being said, I've never ridden a motorcycle of any kind in my life. I'm not looking to do crazy stunts or go extremely fast but at the same time I want something I can grow into. So what do y'all recommend? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Brands? Engine size? I'm buying used and hoping to be below $1500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

2-stroke or 4-stroke depends on what kind of riding you do. 4 strokes have that low-end torque, but the powerband of a 2-stroke once it kicks in is almost addicting.

I have owned 'em all, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda... and they have all been great bikes. You can't go wrong with any of them IMO. I put my toys through hell and they have always come back for more time and time again.

I've been riding for 13 years, (started at 8), and if you've never ridden one, I would suggest something like a nice 4-stroke 250 or 300. I used to own an XR-250 and it was a great bike (4-stroke Honda trailbike). Lots of torque, and still got up and went pretty well. I missed the 2-strokes though, so I went out and bought a CR-250 about 3 weeks ago, and the power is nuts. I outran my buddies 600cc crotchrocket on it.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Deffinatly cant go wrong with any of the honda xr bikes. like the above post they are very manigable for a new rider and do get up and go. Imo they are super low maintainance machines change the oil/filter regularly and you will have a reliable bike for life. I actually just traded my cr 250 (thing was a rocket) for an xr400. And i love thwm both

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah the xr 400 is a great choice for a new rider, I've been playing for almost 40yrs now, the crf and all the other moto four strokes are high maint. and two stroke power bands are not as forgiving as the four, I switched back to two stroke last year, I got tired of shimming the valves and the cost of even changing the oil's on my 450 but I loved the ride, so now I'm on a ktm 300 I think I may be getting old but it is the ease of starting and just changing the gear oil ( no motor oil ) and top end's are a quick easy before lunch job. I need all the extra time to keep my 6.0 happy.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Ok a xr 400 is a good choice yea but it is heavy, imo I would go with a stock cr 250 but you will have to learn how to ride it. I've been a 2 stroke guy all my life from a kx 80 to cr 500 top ends are easy to do and 2 strokes are normally cheaper and less to go wrong. But its up to the rider where and what type of riding do you plan on hills and sand dunes I would say a 2 stroke all day but wide open land 4 stroke.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 AM

Ive been riding a long time now, have a yfZ450 thats a blast to rip on. If youre not about having a rocket on wheels, and xr 250 or 400 would be excellent choices as the ithers stated above. Theyre econimically priced, durable, capable if going anywhere a 450 cab (minus a track) and fun to ride. If your 6' or less and under about 175 lbs the 250 is fine. Otherwise ud recommend the 400.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 AM

I'm 6' 170 right now and it's a possibility I might have another rider down the road with me so I'm gonna say 400.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Look at drz 400s, many are dual purpose and very clean, the dirt version r or e have a better carb, and better suspension than early street versions, My brother and I switched to dirt bikes from rockcrawling 8 years ago and our drzs are still running without any rebuilds, his has over 30k miles, and he got it plated and rode it to work. Electric start and 8-10 more horses than an xr 400r at similar weight. The honda is also a great choice, just giving an alternative. I also have a crf230 wife/buddy/now sons bike, good little bike to learn on if you are under 6ft/180lbs, many are out there with no wear because they are not a" serious" dirtbike. Any of these 4 strokes reguire much less maintainence than a 2 stroke or competitive (KTM, yzf, aluminum frame crf honda, etc)4 stroke bike, and a good 4 stroke playbike will handle more than a newby dirtrider can dish out. DRZ 400s (or the klx400s kawasaki clone of it) will have passenger pegs. I am 6'4" 260 and the drz/klx400 moves me with authority, so it would pull you with a passenger just fine. the street version will need to be geared lower(new sprockets) for serious dirt use.

Last edited by xjeeper; 09-17-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM

I have a wr250x and while its not a 'dirt'bike, it is the same thing but with street tires. I love it, its a blast to ride. The xr series is a great trail/mess around bike. As said, it really depends on the riding you're gonna be doing. I love my supermoto
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you want something dependable go with a four stroke. I would think a crf 250x would be a good bike, it's got a lot of power and good for all around riding

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.