ATV cc size for plowing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off Road Motorsports ATV's, Dirt Bikes, Everything OffRoad

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATV cc size for plowing

Anybody plow with there quad? Cannot justify putting a plow on my baby (08 f350) due to potential damage and also price! Also its a crewcab so it would be very tight to get around some driveways. Any ways im thinking about purchasing a quad with a plow. Im 23 and as of now have about 6 accounts that i use a snowblower for. Im not looking to make a killing and its not my main source of income but feel i can get a few more driveways and cut my time in half,,, time=money correct? Also who wouldnt mind getting paid to drive around on a quad!

Been searching the net for a used quad for a couple thousand and found some between 300-500cc in my price range. Obviously the 300 cc ones a alot cheaper then the 500 cc ones. My question is anyone have experience with atv's? This would be my first atv and dont know much about them. Im not looking to plow 2 feet of snow or the local wal-mart parking lot. Would a 300 cc machine clear a driveway with say about 8" of snow? or should i keep saving up for a bigger machine? thanks al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I plow with a 2004 Honda Foreman 450.

It isn't a speed demon but it's a torque monster. And the Honda doesn't have a belt for the drive. You do have to shift them electronically on the handle bars though.

For doing driveways a quad is perfect. I've plowed up to 2 feet and the 450 has plenty of power. Throw the stock tires in the garbage and get something agressive. I put 26" Kenda Exacutioners on mine and air them down in the winter. It's an animal.

Another tip is to get heated grips, thumb warmer and hand gaurds.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:46 AM

I plow with a Suzuki King Quad 450, thing does pretty good and I have well have plowed in the 2' range. I'd say if you don't get the heated gear get the electric winch, I'm to lazy to raise and lower a plow manually
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wow! i really didnt think these things could handle 2 feet with ease like you guys are saying. I dont think ill ever have to worry bout that here in jersey unless its like freak, and if thats the case ill do it half way between the storm.. Thx for the info guys really helpful. the winch is a main priority we will see how much of a priority the heated items are after the first storm lol probably gonna wing it and kick myself... mxfever pic is awsome, seeing that can really justify buying the quad over say a beater jeep or a plow for my truck, i could use the quad year round!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM

2 feet is nothing as long as it's fluff. When it's wet/heavy it will change the game but it still can be done.

I'm a sissy when it comes to being cold. That's why I bought the heated grips/thumb warmer. I can plow with just riding gloves until it gets below 20. Here are a few more pictures to pursuade you towards the utility atv scene. It really is a year round fun factory. And you can tell by the stuff I get into that I've got a winch.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:56 PM

I started off plowing my driveway with an old honda 200 2 wheel drive. I had a 48in blade on it and had no problems moving the snow. As long as I didn't let the snow get more then a foot it would easily clear my 400 foot driveway plus a parking area. I have a gravel driveway and it is a pain to plow with anything, when I do my neighbors it takes maybe 30 mins for the old 200 to push 6-8 inches of snow but that is half the driveway and its paved. I used that 200 for the last 14 years and never had a problem as long as I would keep up with the snow. But just last year a got a killer deal on a 650 vtwin arctic cat and wow what a difference. I have a 5foot plow on that and a winch 4x4 locking front end and there isnt enough snow to stop it. I would be comfortable using that for multiple driveways. Any 4x4 machine will push the snow effortlessly so shop around you cant go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.