help buying a ford diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Northeast CT - ME - MA - NH - NJ - NY - PA - RI - VT

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help buying a ford diesel

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a 2000 era ford diesel. -From 98-02 i guess, maybe 03.

My living situation doesn't allow me to plug 'er in on cold nights. I'm in Central Massachusetts...

How are the glow systems during these years?

I know there are no certainties with the weather and temp but, are these things fairly reliable starting?

Also, knowing every vehicle has it's issues, any insight to known problems in these model years would be great.

I'm looking at f2 or 350s.

Thanks for anything you could offer!

-dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

They're very reliable starting, my company trucks (99, 01, 03, 05, 07) don't get plugged in most of the time. When it's really cold i'll cycle the glow plugs twice, which helps.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

thanks screamin!

I also may have found an 02 for about the same money and less miles

good to know about the starting. running a cord across the street may not work out well.

appreciated!!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

These are very good reliable trucks. When you are looking, check for oil in the valley of the motor. Its very easy to spot with a flashlight. These engines are prone to leaking oil from a number of points on top. Most are very easily fixed, but some require more advanced work. Don't shy away from one if it has a wet valley, but just try to identify the leak and post it on here so we can tell ya if its a big prob or not. Also just check to see if the steering is tight and make sure the trans shifts good. Another important thing is to see if you can notice if the truck has ever had a chip on it before. You can do this by looking at the PCM which is located behind the e-brake pedal. Its a black box looking thing, sometimes if its had a chip there will be a hole cut in the back of the black cover. Chips aren't bad, but if the truck has stock exhaust and no gauges it could mean trouble in the future. Also i live in central MN and i plug mine in when it gets below 20 F. Its just easier on it and you get faster heat. Sorry to ramble, i just want to inform you! Good luck with your search.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

WOW!
Thanks Dieseldan!

Great info!!

I think I found an 02 7.3 w/100K. Spoke to the man tonite and it's box stock, no nothin as far as mods!

-just what i was looking for.

He's gone thru the front end mostly, ball joints, shocks, bearings, and he thinks tie rods too (i guess it was a few years ago). He's the second owner. he bought it with 22k from a dealership. It's got a plow but he said he only used it on his driveway. He's done oiling/greasing himself. He gave me a pretty thorough run down...

-sounds promising.

thanks for the "oil in the valley" bit. I'll be on the lookout and bring a camera just in case.

I'm glad you saw my thread!! I'm looking at it tomorrow!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Good luck tomorrow with it! You can't beat a low mileage 7.3. Let us know what you find out. Sounds like he went through the front end pretty thorough. I had to put ball joints in mine too. Its another common thing, but hey sounds like most of it was already done. Just really pay attention to how that trans shifts even if he ONLY plowed his driveway. People say that all the time, when they really plowed for side cash in the winter. You'll be able to tell if its been abused. Well hope i was able to help you out.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

will do!

yea, i thought the same thing about 'only his driveway'. but a little light work is better than heavily.
i'll be under that thing seriously poking/tugging around.

do these things normally have a firm or soft shift?

thanks again for the help....yes you were VERY helpful!

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

they will have a soft, quick shift, pay attention to the tach, and see if it jumps up during a shift. that will tell you if its slippin.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

perfect....thanks!!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:19 AM

Yeah what HVAC said. Check for slippage. Mine seems to shift kinda light going into 3rd. I have heard that it is common. The other gears shift a little more firm. There is a valve body upgrade kit that is supposed to help with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.