Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Calling all in Maryland...Emergency Wrench session!!!

3K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  Lord Tauk 
#1 ·
I'm working on getting a new clutch from one of the vendors ASAP...(funding a SBC will take a few days...(Thanks NMCRS!))

I need someone to volinteer their place to do a clutch install. I feel like an idiot asking but I don't have the right tools or the space to rip it all apart. If your in the Baltimore area and have a spot where 4-5 guys can rip into my truck and replace the clutch assembly, holler. I'll be providing the beer and probably lunch.

Also, if you would like to volinteer to assist in the install, post it up here.

The date: There is no set date or time for this. It will be up to whom ever lends us the space. I can do it starting on the 2nd of August through the 7th. I HAVE to be back here no later than the evening of the 7th b/c I have work on the morning of the 8th.

So...this is the gist:
1. I need a place (with the right tools) to pull a tranny and replace a clutch
2. I need a list of folks who would like to help.
3. Has to be between the 2nd and 7th of August.

Thanks Y'all!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ditty,

I have the perfect spot and would love to help a brother out, but I will be out of town during most of that time span. If you don't find anything by the 4th, pm me and I may be able to work something out on the 6th or 7th.

I have a full shop with air tools, jacks, parts washer, torch, welder, etc. and we also have plenty of auto parts places nearby that are capable of supplying just about anything that you could need in a pinch. I will return Sunday August 5 but it will be late in the day. The 6th and 7th are all I have to offer.

#3 ·
It's an offer and GREATLY appreciated. If It's OK...we can set that as tenative...

Your not working on the 6th and 7th I assume. If not...it works for me.

#4 ·
I will be working upstairs from the shop, but you and the boys are welcome to use it. I have a full time mechanic that is in the shop most of the time. I can't officially offer his services, but if you get in a bind he will be there.

Actually, give me a call at 443-955-4823 and we can talk about details. The shop is located in Abingdon, MD just off or Route 40.

#5 ·
I'll give you a call after I get the money and clutch taken care of. (Your the man!!!) Your about 1/2 way between Marty and I. Anyone care to roger up on the help? I would HATE to do this all on my own!

#7 ·
It's close to Dave too... I work Sunday - Thursday from 2:45-11pm and I've already got 5 days off in August so I don't know if I'll be able to do anything. I will definitely get up early, come down and see if I can lend a hand!

#8 ·
OK y'all....I JUST got off the phone with Larry at DPP. My clutch is in the mail this afternoon! So...if all goes well, I'll have it Friday afternoon-ish...(or sooner).

Also, some plans on the wrench session have changed b/c, well, frankly, my schedule SUCKS!

SO, I'm going to HAVE to do the install on Friday Afternoon through Saturday. Why, b/c on Monday and Tues I have to do some B.S. Navy crap and I can't be up North of Baltimore...have to be on base.

I'll be doing it at the On-Base Hobby shop here at Ft. Meade. If anyone is wanting to help, you will have to meet me and come on base with me. Sorry for any inconvenience....but this is going to be the best way to get it done.

On Friday afternoon, I have one person who is willing to help...but Sat I'm all alone.

Thanks for everyone that offered their help and/or facilities. Just the offer speaks volumes about your character. I DO have to thank Larry at DPP for his EXCELLENT customer service and help. He assisted in making a decision about which clutch I needed and even offered to ship it w/out getting payed right away (as long as he had proof I HAD the $$$) to help a fellow .Orger out. Thanks everyone.

If you do want to help on Fri or Sat. PM me and I'll get you my Phone #.

#10 ·
Possibly...We'll see. I can do the Nitrous install anywhere. Heck, I could do it the day of the event if I HAD to. (That wouldn't be any fun though.) If I get the clutch in and all in a decent time frame, would ya'll be cool for a Sat Night wrench session to Nitrous my Truck? (This is just an idea att...Clutch goes first!)

#12 ·
You name it! (IF I get the clutch finished. The trip will be a good clutch break in time!)

If y'all wanna do it up there...that's cool w/ me. I'll even bring the g/f so she can be the Beer-B!tch! LOL.

#14 ·
Yeah...I'll do a little 50-mile break in. A decent break in is what? 50-100 engaugments? I could do that driving to/from work, 25min round trip.

#19 ·
I know its not a truck clutch but on all my mustang clutches it has said that to drive it easy for 500 miles in order to break in and seat the clutch right. I would think this to be a good number for any clutch install.

#15 ·
I just got the UPS tracking info from Larry at DPP...

It's gonna be here on THURSDAY!!!!

SO...if y'all wanna move the Nitrous install to Earlier on Sat!!!.....Like noon-ish possibly.

I'm so happy...I'm about to pee myself!!!

#17 ·
Alrighty....I'm going to start wrenching on the clutch first thing on Friday...(They open at 0900 I think) and work straight until it's done...or they kick me out (2000). Then finish up what I need on Sat if I have to.

I'll give you and Marty a Call on Fri to set up a time...dependant on when I get that ConFE bolted up!

#18 ·
So this Friday and Saturday you're doing the install. SAAWEETTT!!!

I'm going to be installing gauges in Justin's truck sometime this weekend so you let me know when you'll be doing what. Make it final so I can plan accordingly!

#24 ·
Here is my plan:

UPS says the clutch will be here on Thursday afternoon-ish.
So...I'm going to go to the Hobby Shop on base Thursday night and start. They are open 1300-2100 on Thurs and Fri. SO...I'll work until they close and get there again first thing on Friday afternoon at 1300 and work till I finish it.

I'm planning on having it done Friday evening...so I'll drive around a little to get some miles on it.

Saturday, I'll give Marty and Matt a call (Matt I need your #) and see what's what and come up there to install the Nitrous Kit. If I can meet one or both of you at the Flying J that would make it easier. Iif the g/f comes up with me...I'll need to leave around 6-ish so she can get home. If not...I can stay as long as I need to to get it done. (I hope one of you has a 1/8 NPT tap.)

I've been researching the break-in periods and most recommend 100-500 miles, bu what is most important is the number of clutch engaugements. Somewhere in the 200-300 engaugements...taking it easy.

Hows that sound? I'll give y'all a call on Friday evening to coordinate for Saturday.

#25 ·
I have a few taps but they're coarse threads. I've got a fine thread 1/4"NPT Tap dave gave me that I've used on a few gauge installs - but that probably won't help.

Just a FYI, Justin is coming over to my house Saturday morning and I'm installing his gauges. IF you wanted to come over to my house to do the NOX install that's fine. I'm booked Friday night now, but saturday is alllll psd's!!!!

#27 ·
I'll goto Lowes and get a 1/8 NPT tap then. I'll give you a ring on Fri night about Sat.

#28 ·
Here's what I can do:

Ditty, if you and Martin arrange for the Nitrous install at his house Saturday, I can meet you (Ditty) at Flying J and we can roll to Martins house, if he's cool with that.

Martin, Im pretty sure you have an 1/8NPT tap I gave you as well.. double check to make sure.

#29 ·
My parents rearranged the garage and most the crap is either MIA or thrown away lol.

Ya'll can probably just come over on Saturday I'll be home and I'll probably be working on Justin's truck when ya'll arrive. It'd be nice to have like 5-6 psd's lined up all along the side of the driveway :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.