Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone in NJ please read....

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  power0273 
#1 ·
I recently went to inspection station (mays landing) and was told my vehicle (2000 ford f350 diesel with a 9,900 gvw) was no longer eligible for inspection. Now I will no longer have a sticker, or if I keep the current one on it will be expired. I know not every police officer in the state is up to date on this and at some point I will be asked or ticketed for it...especially because the same exact looking truck with a gas motor still requires a sticker and it will be up to the officer to decided weather to ticket me or not. Whats everyone doing to avoid any future complications ??

#2 ·
the Winslow inspection station told me the same thing in august. I tried to get them to give me something in writing, so i could give it to the cop when i get pulled over for no inspection sticker but they wouldn't :doh: . I haven't had a sticker since august and so far no problems yet, but who knows with this state :dunno: :crazy:

#3 ·
I'm not sure what the new range is, but it used to be over 10,000 lbs and under 18,000 lbs, you didn't need a sticker. I've had my truck almost 3 yrs. w/o a sticker and have never been pulled over. If a cop that doesn't know the regs. pulls you over, i would think that you should be able to fill them in and be fine. If they still give you a ticket, when you went to court it would get thrown out.

#4 ·
Most guys on her w/ 250's usually try to get their registration changed to read over 10,00 lbs. so they skip inspection. You are supposed to keep a log in the truck w/ you that records all maintenance and your self inspections.

#5 ·
Mine is changed to 10k no sticker here

#6 ·
its now anything that is over 8501 lbs gvw is exempt from state inspections. you can carry this sheet with you like i do to show the cops if they do pull you over:

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

we would fall under bullets 9,13,14

#7 ·
Got harassed by the man the other day and while he didn't question the lack of my sticker he did inform me that "next year you diesel guys will be required to have an inspection sticker again" ...
Any known truth on this ....?

#9 ·
all the info you need is on the njmvc.gov web site if we need a sticker next year then so be it but for now we dont the problem is that we need to keep up on this because there not going to tell us njmvc but the police will be happy to explain it with a ticket :dunno:

#11 ·
Getting ready to renew the Excursion registration and this is on the back of form.

"Diesel powered trucks 10,001 to 17,999 pounds gross weight and trailers are subject to self-inspection regulations. Gasoline powered trucks are subject to state inspection if subject to self-inspection requirement. The undersigned certifies the vehicle described on this card has been inspected and maintained in conformity with self-inspection requirements and is in safe operating condition."

I will have to research the "self-inspection requirements" for the details. I'm sure it involves some type of logbook. Regular registration is $71.50 and $165. for the 10,001. More money but less hassel.

#12 ·
If you ask the guys at the Inspection Station, they should be able to give you a print-out w/ the reqs for self-inspection. Pretty obvious stuff, just keep the truck maintained. Like you said, the only thing necessary is to keep a logbook in the truck w/ all the dates/records of the maintenance. Now personally, I keep my records on my laptop which I rarely have w/ me in the truck. I've had the truck going on 5 yrs, and never had a cop pull me over or ask for the log book. Now if you had to stop at a checkpoint, you'd prob need the logbook.

#13 ·
I have the NJ motor vehicle code book and will dig it out. I will check to see if there is any statues for the self inspection requirements/documentation. I don't keep any maintenance records in the trucks either.

#14 ·
My truck has been like this since 2008 and I havent had any problems had 2 officers tell me to pull over at insepction stops but as soon as i said it was diesel they waved me on.

I keep a log in the truck its just a simple excell doc and i make sures its done every 3 months.

I don't think I can upload an excell doc here so I just turned it to an image if anyone wants the actual excell doc pm me and I'll email it to you.

#20 ·
I finially read the entire chapter 8 Inspection of Motor Vehicles 39:8-1 through 39:8-90 and no mention of a log book/maintenance book requirement. So it looks like the one posted above is a excellent template.

#21 ·
From what I read self inspection only applies to trucks registered with commercial plates. Any diesel truck over 8501 gvw registered passenger is exempt from inspection. I haven't had a sticker on my truck for 2 years and haven't gotten pulled over at all. If anyone needs the paper to show law enforcement I have a copy in my truck that I can scan and send to whoever needs it. I drive 2002 f350 7.3 registered gvw 9900.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.