Weighted tags ???--Moving to NC - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 67ModStang Send a message via Yahoo to 67ModStang
Weighted tags ???--Moving to NC

Ok guys here's the deal... I'm going to be transferring my truck to NC tags at the end of May when I move and I need to know what to register the tags for to be legal. Truck is in my sig and IIRC the GVWR is 10500#. I also have a trailer that I pull on occasion with a GVWR of 7000#. Does it need to registered for the total combined GVWR's of both vehicles? Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Barchetta
Your truck and trailer will always be registered based on their own GVW, not GCVW.

To be on the safe side, I would register the truck based on the GVW that it's rated for. Having said that, you will pay more the more weight you add to your title. So that one is up to you how high you want to go.

As far as your trailer goes, I am guessing it's also going to be considered a title vehicle. So then it will have to be registered for the GVW of the trailer.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Ok.. so if I ever did happen to get targeted my vehicle registered weight will only need to cover the weight of the tow vehicle, payload, and tongue weight....and not the weight of the trailer? Is this correct?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ModStang View Post
Ok.. so if I ever did happen to get targeted my vehicle registered weight will only need to cover the weight of the tow vehicle, payload, and tongue weight....and not the weight of the trailer? Is this correct?
Correct.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Well, I just found this info that is being posted at the NC marinas. It's meant for boats but I would think that the same applies for cargo/car trailers.
Quote:
License weight requirements: In regards to the weight of the vehicles, a boat and trailer which is being towed by a truck or another vehicle such as a commercial cargo van that is classified as a property hauling vehicle, must be included for gross weight purposes when determining the amount of weight that the truck or van can legally pull. The vehicle must be registered for the gross vehicle weight of the truck/van, trailer, and boat, along with any other items located within these vehicles. For example, if the truck weighs 4,000 pounds and the boat and trailer have a combined weight of 10,000 pounds, then adding the two weights together results in a total gross vehicle weight of 14,000 pounds. Therefore, the truck must be licensed for at least 14,000 pounds to ensure compliance with the license weight requirements under N.C.G.S. Chapter 20-88. Private passenger vehicles such as SUVs are not considered property hauling vehicles; therefore, they are not subject to the license weight requirements of N.C.G.S. Chapter 20-88.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM

Interesting. Hopefully some of the other North Carolinians can chime in and help out with this. You guys up there gotta know these laws.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am sure that your weighted truck tag has to be enough to cover the combined weight of both the truck and anything that you are pulling/hauling. The tag fee is based on weight, mine was like $188 for 13K lbs tag.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billys90 View Post
I am sure that your weighted truck tag has to be enough to cover the combined weight of both the truck and anything that you are pulling/hauling. The tag fee is based on weight, mine was like $188 for 13K lbs tag.
So that means that your entire rig (tow vehicle with payload and trailer with payload) cannot weight more than 13k pounds? That's not a lot of weight.

That is strange.

Why does your truck plate have to cover the GVW of the trailer too?

How are trailers title/registered in NC?

For example. In Florida, the tow vehicle is registered and titled to it's own GVW. Then your trailer, if it's empty weight is over 2k pounds, is also registered and titled to it's own GVW. Therefore you will have 2 titles that will cover the GCVWR. In my case, the truck is titled at 10k and the trailer at 12k.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
To be honest I am not sure how that works, cuz I did not get weighted tags for mine truck. I am sure there will be someone along who can answer these questions for you.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Therefore you will have 2 titles that will cover the GCVWR. In my case, the truck is titled at 10k and the trailer at 12k.
That makes too much sense
though I suppose if you had multiple trailers it would actually cost less to have the trailer gvw covered by the tow vehicle

I think trailers in NC have a standard title fee. I'll have to do some more research on the trailer side of registration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.