NC State Inspection - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NC State Inspection

Ok I am new to these boards and have a question about NC State Inspections. I purchased a 1999 F-250 last week and am realizing that the ball joints are bad and need to be replaced. I was wondering if bad ball joints will prevent a vehicle from passing a state inspection? I am going back to the dealership on tuesday and going to see what they will do for me. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 03:07 PM
The Fat Mod

Welcome to the ORG. Great to have ya. Depends on if the place you take it has had a visit from a state guy or not. Most places will not pull it in and take it off the ground with a lift. Per the state though, they are supposed to be doing it to check things like ball joints. Soooo, most places you will be fine, but there are some that may not pass you. Good luck with it.

On a side note, hope you can make it to the Southern Smoke Show in Winston Salem, NC on the 10th of November.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. I took the truck to the ford dealership the day after I bought it and the tech said he couldn't do an alingment becuase of this. He was also telling me that it should have never passed inspection and that I shouldn't be driving this truck. Is he just blowing smoke or was he trying to be serious? A side note to this is that everytime my dad takes his expedition to ford, they tell him he needs thousands of dollars of work done and nothing is ever wrong....
Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
The Fat Mod

Well, if you just got it, I would take it back and see if they will fix the stuff. When did you get it? I know fighting with a dealership is no fun, but sometimes it is worth it.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

take it to a 3rd party shop and get an opinion. if they were that wore out it would be chewing up your tires and driving like trash. you can jack up your front end, take a pry bar and pull up on the front wheel with it, put the bar under the front tire and pull it up and see if it moves
Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
F250 ball joints are notorious to be bad. I've seen them replaced under warranty because they're not greasable. They will reject the inspection for suspension parts being bad. Had it happen to me on my other truck for tie rods when there wan't anything wrong with them just because the grease boots were flat--go figure.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Jon

here is how it works.

I am a licensed state inspector for NC. The law states that you must lift the vehicle to inspect it. I being a diesel tech ALWAYS check ball joint because they are a problem like tim said. But reality is nobody lifts these things unless they can make the money on the repairs they find. Take it to a quick lube place that inspects and get it done.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 AM

I got the truck on Thursday. Took it in on friday to get an alignment done on it. Tech told me ball joints were bad and needed to be replaced. He said it should have never passed inspection. So I am taking the truck back on tuesday and telling them to fix it or that i will redecorate their dealership with the truck. I will let you all know what happens and I appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 AM
Jon

OHHHHHH

I got ya man. We tried that with Logans truck and the dealer still owes him ball joints.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

just reading this thread , if you just bought it my understanding is that the vehicle has to pass nci before it can be sold , so make them fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.