Please tell me about NC - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please tell me about NC

Hey guys - I hate California. I'm a young married guy with no kids, who is looking for a new life. California and its endless nanny behavior drives me insane. The lack of variation in the weather is boring (sunny, smoggy, or just plain hot). And the people are on average, complete *******s.

What can you tell me about NC?? Good areas? Weather? I really love trees and mountains, but we need to be within commuting distance to a city that has a hospital (wife's job).

I appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 AM

NC is awesome man!
Really the whole state is nice. I can be at the beach in less than 3 hours or in the mountains near Tennessee within 4 hours. Weather is moderate and changes often. Ya we probly get more rain but who doesn't like rain every once in a while? I live in Raleigh. Lived in the area all my life and love it. Really anywhere within about 50 miles has plenty of hospitals/not a bad commute. If you want to be more toward the mountains Boone is a nice area and has hospitals available.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM

Nc here too. Foothills area about an hour nw of charlotte in hickory. Lived here all my life and love it. My wife is a nurse and used to work at the hospital but does home health now. Probably at least 4 hospitals within 30 minutes. Even more if your closer to charlotte. If its weather variety you want, you got it. I always tell people if you don't like the weather in nc, come back tomorrow, lol, always changing. Your used to california's bs so anything else is going to be a step up as far as the government goes, right. Good luck in wherever you end up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks guys - that does sound nice. I grew up on a ranch in Wyoming, so you can imagine how much I cant tolerate the government here in ca.

How's the construction industry out there? I'm a civil engineer who specializes in soils and foundations, stuff like that, but could do a constuction engineering job as well.

My dream place has trees, 4 seasons, and a house with some land.....but still close enough to drive to work. Sounds like NC may offer that.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM

Construction seems to be picking up. Especially the civil end of it, roads and bridges and such. In fact my brother just got a job with Dane, a construction company out here.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
NC is awesome man!
Really the whole state is nice. I can be at the beach in less than 3 hours or in the mountains near Tennessee within 4 hours. Weather is moderate and changes often. Ya we probly get more rain but who doesn't like rain every once in a while? I live in Raleigh. Lived in the area all my life and love it. Really anywhere within about 50 miles has plenty of hospitals/not a bad commute. If you want to be more toward the mountains Boone is a nice area and has hospitals available.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have
X2 I used to live in clayton and loved it. Moved back to Missouri last year.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 AM

NC is one of if not THE fastest growing states in the country. Plenty of construction even now. We definitely have all four seasons and where you are in the state determines temp range.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

Last edited by atvrider93; 10-03-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadreamin View Post
Thanks guys - that does sound nice. I grew up on a ranch in Wyoming, so you can imagine how much I cant tolerate the government here in ca.

How's the construction industry out there? I'm a civil engineer who specializes in soils and foundations, stuff like that, but could do a constuction engineering job as well.

My dream place has trees, 4 seasons, and a house with some land.....but still close enough to drive to work. Sounds like NC may offer that.
id have never left wyoming personally , i spend quite a bit of time out west , and id rather be there , but ive lived in nc all my life , as the others say , all seasons for the most part , and as far as things to do , fairly short drive to beach , mountains ,and everything in between ,i dont dislike it here at all, i dont think i could be paid to live in california , the thing about the east coast to me and im sure ill get slammed for saying it but as long as you stay below the mason dixon line you do have the true southern hospitality that people refer to , above that it does change
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Retired Coastie

I live in the mountains of NC, at the very western end, 3 miles from TN. I couldn't ask for a better place to live. Definitely 4 seasons here, lots of activities from white water rafting or kayaking, trout fishing, camping, the list goes on and on. Asheville is a neat town, very artsy, but lots to do there. There's a VA hospital as well as a civilian one. It you need any info on the towns around here I'm sure any of us would be glad to send you something.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
I live in the mountains of NC, at the very western end, 3 miles from TN. I couldn't ask for a better place to live. Definitely 4 seasons here, lots of activities from white water rafting or kayaking, trout fishing, camping, the list goes on and on. Asheville is a neat town, very artsy, but lots to do there. There's a VA hospital as well as a civilian one. It you need any info on the towns around here I'm sure any of us would be glad to send you something.
I've got some family that live around you. Little cold out this morning. Leaves are already falling off before they change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.