broken off glow plug? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down broken off glow plug?

Was changing glow plugs and one broke off. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get it out? 1987 6.9 engine Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First off, would you mind telling us what brand glow plugs they were? I'm thinking autolites......

Well there are a couple of options.

You could just hammer it into the combustion chamber, and start it up. The odds are against you actually blowing it through without damage, but its been done. I do NOT recommend this method, lots of cussing and hurting of the pocket book ensues...

Probably the most common thing to do is pull the head. Takes a long arse time, but you will get it out. Wont really work if you need the truck in a day or two. If you do do this, its highly recomended up put in ARP headstuds if its a 6.9, with new head gaskets.

You might be able to pull out the injector, rig up some sort of small, small pry bar and put it through the injector hole, and try to push the tip back out. You cant use much effort cause you dont wanna crack the glow plug hole.

Basically if it happened to me I would pull the head. Give me a good excuse to put in headstuds (I really need them cause I am running a turbo). When you go to replace the glow plugs ONLY buy motorcraft or Beru plugs, DO NOT buy any other brand. They are expensive but are the least likely to break off on you next time.

Good luck and dont hesitate to ask any questions!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
magnet?

dude! just use a magnet on a piece of wire. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.