Glow Plug Relay Controller, problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Glow Plug Relay Controller, problem?

I recently bought a '93 F350, 7.3L and when I did, the Glow Plug Relay Controller was physically burnt but was still working fine. Only the bottom piece (controller I assume it is) was burnt. The wires were bare and sure looked scary the way it was burnt. Long story short.... I installed a new one and wired it properly but when I turn the key, the "Wait to Start" light doesn't come on and the relay just click on and off none stop for about 30 secs to a min. and then stops. When I turn the key, there's power going to the small pole (where the red wire is in the diagram) but nothing going to where the yellow one is. Obviously the relay's not kicking in.

I unhooked all the wires <except the white one> from the controller one by one and the clicking was still there. I then unhooked the white one and no more clicking. I installed the old Relay onto the new Controller and exact same results. I didn't get a chance to try it like that with the other wires hooked to see if the "Wait to Start" light comes on or not... was getting very late.

1) Could it be that this new Controller is faulty?
2) Do I need the Controller.... could I just use the relay and not use the controller? My '86 6.9L diesel doesn't have a controller but does have the same relay.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Glow Plug Relay Controller, problem?-glo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

First of all that is a GPR ( Glow Plug Relay ) only the CA have a Controller. What truck is this off of, because that sure doesn't look like the GPR on my 7.3, mine doesn't have that metal jumper bar and mine looks just like a normal starter relay with two large posts and two small posts all on the main unit. Is this off a 6.0? I give directions how to troubleshoot the GPR system in the 7.3 tech section. You should have 12 volts on the front large stud, and when the key is turned on you should have 12 volts on the rear large stud for up to 2 min. I swapped mine out to the HD Stancor model. Please clarify what we are working on here. Filling out your sig would sure help.

NCH
Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Sorry, I can't read this morning, it is a 93 and you are posting in the 99-03 section. It's okay though, the function should still be as I said. No WTS light can mean a PCM problem, does the truck crank and start? It shouldn't be turning off and on, you will hear a loud click and it should stay on for up to 2 min depending on temp. and then click off. I believe the large stud to the right of the red wire is your 12 volt supply but check to be sure. If you don't have 12 volts there you better start back tracking from there.

NCH

Last edited by NCHornet; 09-18-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 AM

Thanks for replying NCHornet. Yes, it's a 1993 with a 7.3L with a Banks Sidewinder Turbo. When I bought the truck, it had a relay just like the one in the picture except burnt but still working. Because it's still warm here, the truck still starts ok without the glow plugs. You can see the relay can come off the bottom piece (controller is what I think it is). My 1986 6.9L has just that relay only.

I'm tempted to just wire in the relay only and eliminate the bottom piece?

Last edited by Clydesdale; 09-19-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Ok, I rewired the old one and it sort of works... it does heat up the glow plugs and starts no problem but the relay still clicks for a short period. The new one didn't heat the glow plugs at all. Any other inputs gents? I can take pics if you guys want?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

did u get it to work yet? if not check to make sure that there's not an open between the glowplugs and the big terminal on the glowplug side of the relay. the wire attatched to the bottom of the metal strip (looks green to me) is your sensing wire that tellsd the module how long to turn on for.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
did u get it to work yet? if not check to make sure that there's not an open between the glowplugs and the big terminal on the glowplug side of the relay. the wire attatched to the bottom of the metal strip (looks green to me) is your sensing wire that tellsd the module how long to turn on for.
Yes, sort of.

I checked the glow plugs and they're all good. There were 2 GP wires that were disconnected. They wouldn't stay on so I closed the female connector on the wire just a bit with plyers; all 8 wires/connectors are nice and snug now.

I turn the key and no more cycling so I figured I'd try installing the new gpr controller again. Installed it, turn the key and smoke started coming out of the controller . It is/was definitely defective since new. I threw it away. I had no choice but to install the old one; works perfect it is still partially damaged! I just ordered a new one from a power seller from eBay, very good prices.

Thanks for asking forddieseldoctor
Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

No prob. Just holler if you run into any other issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.