new buck diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 12:33 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new buck diesel

Has anyone read the new diesel power mag? There is a guy building his own diesel engines that are "jug" style engines like a snowmobile. He claims an "inframe" rebuild time of 2 hours on his engines. Says as long as there is no crank damage you don't need to remove the engine. They are mostly marine engines, but he says hes gonna put the 3 cyl version in a chev tahoe. He says that the 7.7 I6 will top out at 700 hp and 1400 lb ft.

Buck Marine Diesel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 12:52 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I read that too, looks like that guy has a lot of free time (and money) on his hands. I can't remember but did that say he was going to sell those engines to the public?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I work for Mike Buck at Buck Marine Diesel. We're still working on things right now. We're getting VERY close to getting the first prototype fully up and running. We had it running yesterday for about an hour at around 2000 rpm without any problems. We need to do a little more work to get our dyno fully-functional but things are going good.

Since we didn't have the dyno working properly, we're not positive on the actual power numbers. However, while running under a moderate load at about 2000 rpm, the exhaust temperatures were around 1000 degrees F. We ran under those conditions for about 15 minutes. The hottest that the coolant pump got was about 120 degrees F. None of the 6 heads were over 140 degrees and all of them were within 5 degrees of one another (evenly cooling). You could lay your hands on top of the valve covers.

Rollin, the engines will be commercially available when they are finished.

Check out our website for further pictures and videos.

Feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Last edited by timbillyosu; 08-12-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

YouTube - Buck Diesel First Engine Run - Video of the Engine Running

YouTube - Upper End Replacement - Upper End Replacement
Old 11-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just letting everyone know, we have the engine up and running again. Power numbers will be coming soon... having a few issues with dyno calibration, but we will hopefully have those sorted out this week.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have some preliminary power numbers.

So far, we have only gotten about 160 Hp at 9 gal/hr fuel burn. My boss's boat has 2 Cat diesels, when he is burning 35 gal/hr, he gets about 565 Hp. So let's assume it's a linear trend, at 36 gal/hr (4x our current fuel burn), we will be getting about 640 Hp! We are working to adjust our BSFC. These numbers were made with a BSFC around 0.45. We are still extremely happy with these numbers and as soon as we get more, I will be sure to let everyone know.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey all, sorry it has been a little while since I've posted. I've got a new clip of our engine. Check it out:

Cylinder Tear Down and Rebuild

In this video, we take a running engine, shut it down and tear down a single cylinder to the bare crankshaft, rebuild it, and start the engine back up. All in less than 8 minutes!

Don't believe me? Watch it :-)

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

Wow that is really neat. The enigne sounds great .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.