on the fence diesel vs ecoboos vs 6.2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
on the fence diesel vs ecoboos vs 6.2

bought a 34 ft camper trailer and hauled it 6 hours with my 2010 f150 with 5.4l......it sucked. Im on the fence what new vehicle to buy, I had diesels for years before getting into my previous raptor, then back to the everyday f150. Obviously the diesel would haul better, but in your opinion, how do the new f150s haul. how bout f150 ecoboost vs. f150 6.2L. I had the 6.2 in the raptor and it was a beast. I dont know a dam thing about the ecoboost but i am skeptical of hauling such a big trailer with a v6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

I've heard a lot of great things about the ecoboost engine and the F150 with Max Tow. I think no matter what the F150 guys think there are hard limits of a 1/2 ton truck. I feel that to comfortably tow your trailer and stay within the legal limits you will need a 3/4 - 1 ton. I just bought my 2012 F350 PSD and love ht eway it towed my 30' trailer last weekend. I couldn't imagine pulling anything like that with a 1/2 ton. I pulled my new trailer 1 time with my Yukon XL Denali with the 403 HP 6.2 with a Reese Dual Cam anti-sway and WD bars and hated the way it pulled. If you do decided to get an F150 make sure it has LT tires on it and not the P rated tires. I also had too much sidewall flex with the P rated tires.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

The new F150s with the 3.5L or 6.2L certainly have the power... but they won't have the brakes and the frame to handle a 34 foot trailer like a super duty does.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have an ecoboost f150, a 7.3L diesel F250, and a 7.3L F350 dually, the f150 is fun and I have smoked a few raptors with it (its stock) and well I hauled a mini van with both the 250 and 150, and after the experience with both my f150 was demoted to small lawn trailers it even has the max tow package and 4x4, I over payed IMHO for tow mirrors
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM

I would go diesel, less stress on trips while towing heavier loads.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have the knowledge of maintaining a diesel, go with the diesel. It will pull better, while getting better fuel economy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^ agreed, if your pulling and diesel is always the best option... Reliability, durability and fuel economy are the top perks of towing with a diesel.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A 1/2 ton truck isn't really an option with that much weight behind you. But gas or diesel really depends on how frequently you tow and how often you'll drive the truck with no trailer. The diesel will have better fuel economy when towing, but the difference in purchase price, maintenance costs, and fuel prices (diesel vs unleaded) will make it nearly impossible to offset what you gain by purchasing a diesel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.