No Go~! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy No Go~!

Hey there, I've been building mud chuckers for a number of years now, but I'm totally new to the Diesel world. I've just purchased my next project it's a 91 F-250 ,4x4 ,7.3 L ,non-powerstroke, automatic. I am having some problems while driving. When starting out the engine revs but the rpm gauge does not go up, and it takes some time to get the truck up to speed, then on the highway once up to speed the gauge will occasionally jump, along with a burst of power, and also while on the highway when the gauge is up if I hit a bump it hits zero and the engine noise drops. Being that it's December, having these power fluctuations on snowy roads could prove problematic.

Any help or suggestions are certainly appreciated, Thanks in advance

Badtruck
( Jeremy )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does that truck have the E4OD (Electronic 4 speed overdrive automatic tranmission). years and years and years and years ago, back when there were no powerstrokes........ I had a guy bring me a 91 f-250 4wd with automatic and 7.3 IDI N/A diesel, doing the same exact thing your is doing IT turned out to be chaffed/burnt wiring harness that ran from the computer down to the transmission which sent vital data about engine dynamics to the tranny so it can shift properly his kept hitting passing gear when the tach would go out or move around while running down the road causing engine RPMS to go up becuase the trany was in a lower gear. It would shift ok driving around slow but could not keep itself in OD. Could also be a fualt in what ever driver feeds the tachometer its signal. Without that Tach the E4OD won,t shift correctly. Just my .2 cents worth. hope this helps
Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think you nailed it, thanks. where exactly would you start to chase this problem
Old 12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I found that one by tracing the wire harness from where it plugs into the tranny, and following it till I found the burnt and chaffed wires. That Harness will be in a loom so you may have to look for signs of loom damage, I think the root cuase of this one's failure was becuase it had new tranny put in and the shop techs that did it did'nt check to make sure the harness was not touching the exhaust manifold. On these older trucks the wiring is almost always an issue in odd problems like this. Another way would be to unplug the Harness and check each circuit for resistance with an ohms meter.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I found the general area of the problem by having a buddy wiggle wires while I watched the Tach for any movement. Turns out the break or short is under the hood just on the other side of the firewall from the steering wheel. There are three harnesses located here as well as a relay ( I think for the lights ) and what looks like some type of sensor.

Would I be best taking the truck to an auto/electric shop.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea you might do that they will test those circuits and find which one is the culprit, and fix the short. ON the one I fixed I just replaced the harness, but I knew it was bad. Your short could be loose fitting or loose or coroded ground as well. A good auto electric shop should know how to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.