Just picked up my first diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just picked up my first diesel

So I've been searching for about 6 months for a cheap diesel in the local classifieds and online ones. I finally found one and brought it home today. Its a 1993 F-350 XL auto. I was hoping I could get some helpful tips and advice on a few issues I've found so far.

Fuel Injectors; I noticed a small amount of wetness around 1-2 injectors... I'm thinking maybe the o-rings are likely dry rotted? Does that seem like the most plausible answer?

Oil pan; Well this has to be changed. It does not leak (that I know of) but it was repaired all around the bottom with JB weld. I just don't like hack jobs. Could I change this with just dropping the front axle, or is it much more involved?

Valve Covers; I have to look at these closer, but they are really crusty looking and I just don't think they will hold the oil out much longer. And if I'm doing all this work. Might as well fix them too if it's easy enough like a gasoline car... Are they easy to replace?

Ignition switch; This is completely loose and seems like it is barely attached to the steering column. Are these a real big deal to swap?

4wd transfer case shifter; Well this looked like it broke right off the side of the transmission, is this a common problem and how do people go about fixing this?

Engine oil cooler; The engine leaks oil like a siv. I was told by the previous owner his mechanic thinks its the oil cooler. How do I confirm this and how difficult are they to change?

Washing the engine; I'd like to really wash everything in the engine compartment and underside with a power washer. So I can track oil leaks and work on a "clean" engine. Does this seem like a good idea and if so what are the important parts to cover and if not, how should I clean it?

Thanks guys for any help you can offer. I'd really like to have this truck running as soon as I can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

Old 12-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, because you know I'll be here for a while will all this to have fun with! But I love digging into new things and diesels have always intrested me. I've never tinkered with a diesel before I'm not afraid to start And from what I've seen so far with this forum, it's seems there are alot of members with a wealth of knowledge.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Bomb, I was hoping this/these questions would have been answered. I don't have a diesel yet, but have been looking for a long time. I have recently run across a couple, one is a 96 f250 4x4 7.3psd 5spd 212k, the other (I kinda like this one) is a 93 f250 2wd 7.3 IDI a/t (don't like the a/t though). I think it's a turbo, but not sure cause I haven't had a up close look at it yet. It only has 134k on it. Both of these are nice looking trucks. Like you, I can't wait to get my hands into a diesel. I really hope someone picks up on your original questions. If not keep me/us informed on your progress.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombThreat View Post
So I've been searching for about 6 months for a cheap diesel in the local classifieds and online ones. I finally found one and brought it home today. Its a 1993 F-350 XL auto. I was hoping I could get some helpful tips and advice on a few issues I've found so far.

Fuel Injectors; I noticed a small amount of wetness around 1-2 injectors... I'm thinking maybe the o-rings are likely dry rotted? Does that seem like the most plausible answer?

that could be it

Oil pan; Well this has to be changed. It does not leak (that I know of) but it was repaired all around the bottom with JB weld. I just don't like hack jobs. Could I change this with just dropping the front axle, or is it much more involved?

your better off pullin the engine out.

Valve Covers; I have to look at these closer, but they are really crusty looking and I just don't think they will hold the oil out much longer. And if I'm doing all this work. Might as well fix them too if it's easy enough like a gasoline car... Are they easy to replace?

probably the valve cover gasket is bad

Ignition switch; This is completely loose and seems like it is barely attached to the steering column. Are these a real big deal to swap?

dunno on this. my switch doesnt hang out but can turn with out the key

4wd transfer case shifter; Well this looked like it broke right off the side of the transmission, is this a common problem and how do people go about fixing this?

um that might be a big problem

Engine oil cooler; The engine leaks oil like a siv. I was told by the previous owner his mechanic thinks its the oil cooler. How do I confirm this and how difficult are they to change?

well it might burn it also. look at the cooler to see if theres any oil around the gaskets.

Washing the engine; I'd like to really wash everything in the engine compartment and underside with a power washer. So I can track oil leaks and work on a "clean" engine. Does this seem like a good idea and if so what are the important parts to cover and if not, how should I clean it?

not really. you will most likely get the water in places that shouldnt have water.

Thanks guys for any help you can offer. I'd really like to have this truck running as soon as I can
sorry this is like a year late. how much was the guy askin for it and how many miles were on it?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Emergency Services

just realized this thread is over a year old. who the he!! keeps digging these old threads up
Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19558077
just realized this thread is over a year old. who the he!! keeps digging these old threads up
when people search, they find what they want regardless of date lol
Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeh, Been trying to research as much info as I can before buying, that's why this old thread got dug out of the cellar. The 96 psd wants 6k, the 93 IDI I don't know yet. It's sitting out in front of a place with the info I mentioned written on window, but no price. Not sure but I think it had the turbo diesel tag on the fender. I wasn't really looking for an IDI or a 2wd, but it sure looks nice. After reading some of the threads on here about the IDI's, I'm starting to rethink the "PSD only" mind frame I had before.
I most certainly will be taking a closer look at that one. Most others (IDI's) that I have "by chance" run across in my PSD search have been pretty ragged out. Not so in this case.
Glad to see some response to Bomb's (year old) thread. Hope to hear some answers to his original questions, and hear from him in regards to what he has done with his IDI.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

bob, the idis are a great engine. but are limited to mods. the psd can be modded way more than a idi can. but if you just want to keep close to stock and want to haul weight, both or the idi will be good to buy.

im not sure if the 93s had turbo.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Rice Hunter

YUP.... OLD THREAD NEEDS CLOSING
The BOMB must have gone off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.