Not the Glow Plugs, I dont think... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not the Glow Plugs, I dont think...

Evening,

I have worked around with my 1989 IDI for sometime now to try and figure out what is causing my cold crank issues. At first I assumed it was mainly a cause of it being cool outside, but then realized then even when it is cool outside it still will crank (with or without the block heater), but it shuts off soon after (maybe 10 seconds later). After it would shut off, it takes a good bit of work (turning starter over and over for some minutes to get it running. Sometimes I simply come back to it later as the battery and starter are beginning to get slow) to get it running.

Now I have found that the cold crank issues are non-existent if I have ran the truck in the last day. Meaning, if I started it yesterday, and even if it is cold outside, it will start and run smoothly today. Now, if I let the truck sit for longer period of time, days, this is when I get the first crank with the shut off seconds later and the time spent turning the starter.

I am not a mechanic by any means, but it seems to me that the truck is loosing its prime. Seems to me it is starting up and burning the fuel in the filter area, shutting off, and then me turning the motor over with the starter is creating pressure or re-priming the fuel.

Any direction would be appreciated. I feel confident in my glow plus system now, and the longer I have the truck it seems I am getting the exact issue handled. With it being our "work" truck for our house, there is not a lot in the budget to take it to the diesal shop

Thanks ahead of time for all of your help.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Scratch that...

I Found similar post..... Ill look for a fix there.

Thanks, sorry for the re-post.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Best thing to do in this case is to crank it for a few seconds before using the glow plugs. This allows the fuel to get to the cylinders.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did you get your issue solved? if not try looking at all the soft lines around the pump and the injectors. we have had symptoms like you describe and have found either a fuel line or a return line cracked or O-rings on the return caps leaking. it doesn't take much for those old workhorses to lose their prime and get pretty tempermental. hope this helps. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.