New or old, which is better? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New or old, which is better?

Im finally getting the funds I need to get a new truck and Im trying to choose between a IDI or a PSD. In the end I think it will come down the the total package(condition,miles,price etc) and not just what motor even though I really want an IDI.

So quick question

Is a newer truck(PSD) with high miles(200+ or -) better than an older truck(IDI) with lower miles (115 + or -). And let's assume maintenance is average, not super meticulous but not lacking either. thanks
guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

me personally i'd choose an IDI over a PSD if they were in the same condition....
Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depends one what your using it for. Both of pro's and con's.

IDI's are fairly simple to operate. They need 1 12v wire to the IP to run (considering you could turn it over without the starter which would require some more wiring ), easier to diagnose problems, and parts generally are cheaper ($30 for a new injector). They can make okay power, but you can get the same amount out of a PSD for cheaper. Both will get the same fuel mileage depending on condition.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im looking for a all around truck, not much towing, average hualing, but lots of playing(hunting, camping,) commuting etc.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmackk View Post
Im looking for a all around truck, not much towing, average hualing, but lots of playing(hunting, camping,) commuting etc.
Im in a similar boat.
Im saving for either an IDI or PSD.
On one hand I like the fact that I can slap a chip on the PSD and increase power/etc. They also have lots of aftermarket support in terms of injectors, turbos, exhaust, interior, exterior etc. However they are pricy to fix when things break (I have owned two OBS PSDs)

On the other hand, the IDI is built like a tank, easy to work on, and cheap to repair. Its easier to fix problems when you are stranded with bailing wire and duct take vs a programmer and computer system.
(I have owned 0 IDIs)
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 PM

the old IDI never left me stranded. My PSD has had to be loaded on a roll back three times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.