I am putting in a electric fuel pump, question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am putting in a electric fuel pump, question

I have read about people putting in an electric fuel pump and how it helps older diesels. IE hard start when sitting a long time, or priming when changing filter, or running out of fuel and switching the tank.

I see no good reason to have it on all the time. can someone comment on that.

So I was thinking of putting it in with a switch that I would push to activate it in instances where I have not driven it for a few weeks to get the fuel to the mechanical pump. But then it hit me, why not have it on a relay that activates when I put my foot on the brake. thus, when starting the truck I would hold down the brake while waiting for the glow plugs to warm up.

and if I change the fuel filter i just go step on the brake and prime it before starting it. or if driving and run a tank dry when I shift over to the other tanks lightly press the brake, you are coming to a stop anyway so nice to give brake lights to warn people behind you.

and comments pro or con about this?

1990 F350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can see it being beneficial if changing filters or running it out of fuel. In my psd I always refill the fuel bowl when I change filters then run at high idle till it all purges out. If the electric pump isnt on would the mechanical lift pump have a harder time pulling fuel past it? That would be my concern.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 PM

depending on the pump you may not be able to draw fuel through it. I know you cant do it with a lot fo the "autozone" pumps.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

taking your point into consideration, I already have the fuel pump (it was even cheaper than a autozone one.) It was so low cost I am afriad to tell you guys because you might think I was crazy... bought it down here in Mexico. I also bought some R12 for 9 bucks a can at the same place. My ac now works great..

so I went and tested the resistance to flow on the electronic fuel pump, I will have you know I have a very bad taste from doing it. But there is no resistance to airflow as I blew through it.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM

Give her a try then. I'd just make it come on with the ignition so the lift pump is always being helped out.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well after running dry on one of the tanks (next task will be to remove tanks and put new tube in so I can use entire tank) as I got to the gas station and getting stuck there for about 30 minutes. well I was motivated to install the electric fuel pump.

So did it today took me about 4 hours (two hours wiring behind the dash and 2 under the truck), I hooked it up to a switch that has three positions, off, take power from the brake, and one from accessories when key on. I also put a led light in when the pump is on.

I am so glad I did this, after installing it I turned it on and it was a condition like running out of fuel because it was drained as I hooked it in. I stepped on the brake saw my LED turn on, and heard the pump kick on, (very loud) and could even hear a different tone (got quieter) when the fuel was at the pump, let it stay on for another 2 minutes and the truck turned over right away. Vs risking over use/heating of a starter and being stuck at the gas station or where ever.

I am thrilled. next to deal with the fuel tank pick ups.

truck still runs fine without electric pump on driving down the road, but did not do the highway high speed test yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.