7.3 IDI aftermarket turbo advantages - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 IDI aftermarket turbo advantages

I have a 89 7.3 IDI I use this truck for freeway driving over mountainous terrain. What is a safe RPM range to opperate at? I need to acheve freeway speeds of 75 to 80 MPH. Is this possible with this old truck? Can I acheve higher speeds with out rapping out the RPM's by installing an aftermarket turbo? If so what turbo do you recommend? If not a turbo what mods can I do to increase speed with out running the RPM's to high?

Thanks
Stonewaters

P.S. this truck runs great its just not very efficient on the freeway....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gearing

A turbo will only get you up to speed quicker. Your engine rpm range it still limited by the motor. What you need is more highway friendly gears like in the 2.50 to 3.50 range, and overdrive or an overdrive plus a secondary overdrive like a "gear venders" or similar product. A turbo will help you pull a grade with out dropping as much speed and having to downshift. But you will have to install and monitor an EGT gauge, or risk buring up your motor!!!

For efficency slow down to 55-60 and hangout in the right lane. Been there done that!

YMMV Sean
Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 AM

taller tires will help drop RPM's an a gear venders overdrive unit will too from all i have found out so far the idi doesnt like more than about 10 to 15lbs of boost and hypermax max a great bolt on kit for 1900bucs without doing some work like head bolts an a few other things i did see a post somewhere that had tire size an gear ratio for maximum mpg but i cant find right now ..i got an 88 CC dually 7.3 idi an im looking to get my hwy mpg up right now im running 2250rpm at 65mph with a 5speed an a 410 rearend ....everyone has told me the sweet spot for rpms on the idi is around 1600 to 1800rpm ..... im thinking about running a 19.5" wheel or maybe even a 22 or 22.5 .....i was also told the best i could possibly hope for was 20mpg an i got that driving my truck home ....so im with you if i can get 20 or better at hwy speeds it would be awsome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 idi aftermarket turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.