semi retreads - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
semi retreads

who thinks semi retreads should be outlawed. I see so many of these treads on our roads these days. I once ran over a retread and it hit the car behind me and it took out his headlight. So who has to clean it up we pay to have it cleaned up with our taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Man i hear you, but i worked as a mechanic in the coal mining industry and all of our trucks ran retreads and very rarely did we have any problems with the caps separating.
I know it doesnt make it seem any better but when you consider the amount of retreads running up and down the road compared to the number of gators laying in the median its really a small number. and you can figure a small portion of those gators are still virgin tires, they will all come apart if they are driven on flat. personally im ok with my taxes paying to pick the tires up at least they are being disposed of.
Jim
Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

only problem

is when it damages other vehicles on the roadway and then end up footing the repair bill. I dont go a week without seeing a new retread on the side of the highway. I drive 5 days a week here in michigan and there are alot of semi,s
in michigan.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM

I ran retreads on my Jeep and researched for hours prior to buying them. It appears, that in today's world retreads coming apart is mainly due to two things 1)Not aired appropriately 2)Overloading them.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Like SVO Ryan said, it's usually the operators fault. Instead of hitting the tires with a knocker to see if it's inflated they should be checking with a gauge. I'm getting retreads for my truck in the future.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswipe7 View Post
I drive 5 days a week here in michigan and there are alot of semi,s
in michigan.
The roads are probably the worst i have seen in the country as well , exactly why i refused to haul loads to Michigan and tried to avoid driving thru as well.

As stated earlier proper tire care is the biggest factor , caps are pretty trustworthy if taken care of. i have run them a time or two in 10 years of driving OTR because it was the difference in a 1800.00 tire bill vs. 4000.00 and just did not have the money at the time. But running a tire at 30 psi for 2 weeks at a time due to neglect is gonna kill it whether its a cap or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.