New to IDI's and the Powerstroke Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to IDI's and the Powerstroke Forums

Hi. I recently purchased my first IDI truck. Its a 1987 F350 6.9L 4 speed 2x4 CCLB with 122,000 and a turbo. Its a pretty mean truck and I'm happy with it so far. I'm wanting to do some upgrades in the near future while I still have the extra money I had saved for the truck purchase. I really want to swap the 4 speed for a 5 speed, how difficult is this swap. I've heard different stories about this swap. Can I just use a 5 speed that was for an 87-94 diesel without changing the flywheel? The only problem with the truck is that I believe it has air in the fuel line. Sometimes when it has sat it will fire, die, and then crank for a while before it will start and run. Does this sound like air in the line? Do I need the return kit for the fuel line that I heard some people talking about or can I just bleed the air and be ok? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, sounds like air intrusion. A return line kit is a really good choice, basically like a basic gasser tune up kit, good to put on a newly purchased rig.

As far as the swap, I've heard you can use the 4 speed flywheel, but it gets tricky. Easiest thing to do is buy a clutch, pressure plate, flywheel combo. Other than that the tranny is a direct swap in. You will need a tranny tunnel piece, as its a different shape.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks. I'll order the kit then. Will the flywheel, pressure plate etc. off of a 1990 7.3 5 speed work, or do I have to order the solid mass flywheel? I found a guy who is parting out his truck and he has all the parts I need, if they"ll work.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A lot of guys prefer the solid mass flywheel. If he is parting it out, might wanna try to get his flywheel setup. Stock setups use dual mass flywheels, but if you can move the flywheel more than 1/4" its bad.

You will need:

Tranny, tranny tunnel pan, shift linkage, shifter, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, might want to get the pedal assembly. You should be good at that point.

I also think you have to move the tranny mount back about two inches with the ZF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.