Help Best machanic i know cant fix o.d Light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kyle J
Help Best machanic i know cant fix o.d Light

ok heres my problem. i brought my truck to my machanic because my od light came on and started to flash. he plugged it in and dident get any codes. He has never been able not to fix somthing guy is the best of the best. he said bring it to a trans shop well im a college student and i know from exsperience never to go to a trans shop again. i have done some reading on this site and some guys say your trannys toast and some say different sensors and other things can do this. like i said money is tight and i dont want to be replacing things left and right hoping to fix it. If anyone knows somthing about this of what i should do this would be great. Or if you live in Mass possable could help me. The truck was leaking tranny oil out of the trans pan and oil out of the transfer case. also front drive shaft was just rebuilt inner tube and joint were toast. i thought thats why the light started. The truck is almost undrivable it shifts horrable when the o.d starts blinking . also the light dosent start untill i drive like a half mile or seem to hit a big bump thats why i also thought loose wire/sensor.. any Help would be great.

the truck is a 1994 f350 7.3l idi non turbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you are on a budget this is what I would do.

Crawl under the truck, and look at your tranny. Should have misc. sensors going into the tranny. Unplug every single one, and clean both ends of it as well as you can. Re-install.

Basically its either a wiring issue, or your tranny is seriously screwed. If you eliminate the wiring pull the tranny pan and tell us if you find any metal shavings at the bottom. If you do....I'm sorry to tell you your tranny is a gone.

The overdrive light flashes and shifts hard because the tranny is in "limp mode." It raises the line pressure (which makes hard shifts) in a last ditch effort to get you to a shop to diagnose the problem.

Driving a little bit and hitting a bump causing this also to me says wiring.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM

^^^^ What he said.^^^^ Before dropping your pan you could also smell your fluid. Best thing to do is have a qt of fresh oil so you can compare. If it smells burnt you might have issues. If it is going into limp it should still throw a soft code. It should be that after the third time it will throw a hard code. His scanner should have picked it up either way. If not tell him to upgrade his stuff lol.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM

i just had the trans pan dropped and all new fluid and filter. no burnt smell or metal shavings. so im leaning twords the electrical aspect. would a soliniod pack/ tourque converter or neutral saftey switch cause this if they were bad.

One other thing that crossed my mind was, the trans pan and trasfer case were leaking a good amount of oil and my front drive shaft joint was toast. The more oil it leaked and the worse the driveshaft got , this is when my o.d light came on. I had all those replaced and fixed but my question is would these cause this to happen and thats why the codes dident come up. like if i disconnect the batterys for 30 min and see how that works along with what you said justin bye cleaning the wires?? Thanks guys
Old 07-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just for s***s and giggles, does your interior light on the roof at the back of the cab work?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 AM

The interior one works if the doors are open i think . the one in the back dosent work even as a break light dosent work?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The brake lights dont work? That causes some problems as well. Because the tranny uses the brake lights to unlock the torque converter (so when your in overdrive and you step on the brakes it wont stay locked and lug the motor which is bad for the tranny).
Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 AM

the brake lights do i dont think the third brake light dose on top of the cab. even if thats where my problem is wouldent that pop a code up. and if the third brake lights causeing the problem should i replace the bulb and wires?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Ok so i just pickup up the truck . And I narrowed down the problem a bit hopfully this can help you guys steer me in the right direction. Right when i push the gas peddle the o.d light starts blinking and right when i let off the gas it stops etc.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM

and my guess is this is why the codes dident come up . cause obviously he cant drive and be on the gas while scanning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.