93 IDI fuel problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
93 IDI fuel problems

I have a 93 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI with 235,000 miles. It has a banks kit. Initial start up is rough with a lot of white smoke. Smoothes out with warm up and white smoke diminishes but doesn't fully go away. Fuel economy is horrible. Accelerates fine and runs fine after a good warm up. Deceleration down a grade also produces a lot of white smoke. Mechanic says entire fuel system must be replaced, and now says the engine isn't worth putting a new fuel system on. Claims fuel is being dumped into the engine, and that there probably has been ring and bearing damage.
I'm not buying it, but wanted an informed opinion. Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It sounds like your mechanic either don't want to mess with it or doesn't know whats really wrong.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's pretty much my take on it. I had to pump info from them each week to see what was going on! After doing a lil bit of research it looks like the Injection pump might be the problem. I have an extra I'm going to slap on and see if that solves my issue. If anyone else has anything to add I'd be appreciative!!! Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To me it sounds like he is right. Correct me if I am wrong but white means you have water/anitfreeze being burned......The cylinder walls in these rigs are really thin so it might have some cavitation issues.

But I could be wrong......

You probably do need to have the fuel system replaced or more specifically the return lines. Its cheap and if that doesnt solve it I would try to find where the source of the air intrusion is.

my .02

Thad
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

93 IDI fuel problems

We grabbed the truck from the shop yesterday. I fired it up and it was shakeing pretty bad. I noticed it was on the front tank, and it was damn near empty. Switched to the back tank and after about 2-3 miles of driving the smoke stopped!!!!!! After getting it back to the house, we cycled tanks and when we switched to the front, and the smoke began, cycle to the rear, and the smoke stops(not immediatley). So we have ruled out the injection pump as the culprit. We are pretty sure that the prior shop did not get the 5 year old fuel out of the front tank.

Now to the issue we see now. When we rev it up there is a slight miss, that starts around 1300 RPM, and disappears around 2200. Im pretty confident that one or two of the 220,000 mile injectors are worn. Where can I get a set of stage one's, or is it recommended that I go back with stock reman's? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its acting up with less than 1/4 or so of fuel you most likely need to have the sending unit repaired. Both of the sending units on my 94 had shattered "shower heads" and would behave as you described until I put more than a 1/4 tank in them. Its super easy to check if you can get to them. I got pretty good at removing the bed to access them. I will never drop a fuel tank, I will always lift the bed off to access fuel tanks!!!!!

Many times they would not allow the truck to start at all.....

Just a suggestion....I spent way too much time on those sending units......

Thad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.