6.9/7.3 IDI Trucks Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.9/7.3 IDI Trucks Questions

I sold my 06 6.0, now i'm looking for a 6.9/7.3 IDI truck. I got a few questions about these trucks and was gonna ask the veterans of the IDI trucks.

What kinda fuel economy do these trucks normally get?

How realiably are the trucks?

How long will these truck run, far as the miles that you can put on one?

And if anyone is wondering what i plan to do with a truck like this, i plan to use it a my daily driver/work truck. And do some mild towing from time to time.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Anybody???
Old 04-14-2010, 04:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck gets about 16-17mpg, more or less depending on how I drive it. But I also dont have overdrive, if I did, I know I could be right at 20mpg. As far as how long they will last, I know of motors lasting less than 100,000, and I know of a couple people who put more than 500,000 miles on an IDI without a rebuild. Really just depends.

Realiablity. Once you buy it, and start working out the bugs as it is an old truck, they become relialbe. I drove my truck from Oregon to Texas (2500miles) in about 2.5 days and it made it here perfectly fine. I would make that run again in a heartbeat.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM

Well thats what i was wondering, my dad had a 1993 IDI dually bought with 23,000 miles and keep from 1994 til 2005. He had it for 11 years and far as i know he never done anything major to. At around 128,000 miles he put the Banks turbo kit on it, the bout a year and half later he sold it with i think 134,000 miles.

I grew up around these type of trucks and miss his old one. I sold my 06 6.0 and i'm wanting another one. I just wanted a second opinion on the ole IDI trucks. But sounds like these trucks are tough as nails.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 PM

Anyone else have any input on this matter?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 AM

i love savannah. Ill be at pickwick this week!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM

The idi is a good truck, i like the 6.9 better because they have more metal which makes it a little bit better with the heat issues they have, they also have some issues with warping heads. The IDI will NOT run like a 6.0, but you can get close, with performance questions I would ask Justin... FordGuy100... He seems to be able to answer about all the idi performance questions on here, but a good friend of mine has a 92 idi and it has a turbo and injectors, I thought it was going to make it a beast but it made it run more like a 99-03 7.3l... Which isn't a bad thing and he gets 18-20 mpg stock he was lucky to get 15-16
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good performance goes like this.

Pull the engine, 6.9 is perferable as no cavitation issues. Clean up the heads (make the runners nice and smooth). Instal ARP headstuds, or have a machine shop drill and tap the heads and block for 9/16" head studs (expensive but you probably wont every blow a head gasket). New bearings in the motor. Torque grind cam. Have the pistons shaved and then ceramic coated, lowers compression some. Put the heads on. Install studs for the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds. Turbo, I would find a wastegated ATS, and instal a Super 60 intake wheel. Fab up an intercooler using a 7.3 or 6.0 intercooler. Buy Super moose pump, and injectors (160cc's I believe). If auto tranny, build it. And lots of gauges.

I would probably look at a DT466 turbo as well. Custom fab it.

I think with that work you would be in the 325-350hp at the wheels, and 600ft lbs? But you would have awesome bottom end with the IDI as higher compression (even if you lower it some).

My truck with the pump not turned up all the way ran a 17.7 quarter mile. Somebody on here said there OBS PSD with an auto and open intake/exhaust, ran a 17.9. With it turned up more, I should be in the 17.5 range I think.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:22 PM

My cusion bought a 90 IDI with 300K and it fires up with literally a snap of the key and actually runs really smooth all the way up to 3K RPM's.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Just like any old vehicle the thing your gonna have a problem with is finding parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.