twins on a 6.9 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
twins on a 6.9

i think i might have posted this in the wrong spot so ima try it here. i dont have a ford diesel but a buddy of mine has an 1984 f350 with the 6.9 in it. i have a couple questions and am hoping that somebody might be able to help me out cause im not familiar with them. i have a cummins but not saying that ones better than the other or anything. anyways how do you turn up the fuel on one? is it like the 7.3 powerstroke or can you do it mechanically? secondly would say a stock intercooler off like a 95 PS be easy to rig up on the 6.9? and thirdly hes interested in running twins and my thought is would it just be easier to run one off each side and then tie them together? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
Be careful when putting those turbo's in (May have to fab that setup... I've not seen twin turbo kits for the 6.9), those head gaskets don't like boost very much. Should look into head studs if you go thru with that.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok thanks probably wont be pushing very high boost so i never thought about that. definately will be a fab setup though. thanks for the input
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM

Yeah, many of the later IDI turbo'd 7.3's had head gasket and I think EGT issues. I have seen a kit for a single turbo setup on the IDI engines... Was in one of the diesel mag'.s a few months ago.

While I'm at it I'll be the first to say !
Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well thanks i got the tools and machinery to rig up custom header pipes and intercooler piping and all that good stuff im just trying to get as much info as i can on this motor though before i dive into this. what about turning the fuel up? is that all controlled by oil pressure? i know they are indirect injected but thats bout it lol. definately am interested on learning bout these and the powerstroke motors. when it comes to fords and chevys i dont know crap lol
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Cool. But the IDI and Powerstroke engines have nearly nothing in common. Your 6.9 is classic definition of "old-school" diesel! You have a rotary mechanical fuel/injection pump that operates the injectors (which are basically glorified hi-pressure check-valves). The 7.3 and 6.0 PSD's have HEUI ("Hydraulic Electronically controlled Unit Injector") systems (6.4 is common rail).

As for performance tuning a mechanical diesel... well, hopefully someone else can chime in for that! Turning the fuel up is one way to gain some power. Upgraded pumps and injectors may be available if you look hard enough.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 AM

Also, the Powerstrokes prior to the '95 model year didn't have intercoolers.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
Also, the Powerstrokes prior to the '95 model year didn't have intercoolers.
Actually prior to 99 they didnt. None of the OBS trucks had intercoolers from the factory
Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well ive been researching and i now know how to crank the fuel up. have come to realize that twins arent a good idea without major upgrades. so gonna run a single with head studs and push round 15 psi would probably be a safe number to run. i didnt know that they were non-IC until 99. ill rig something up. now what size pipe would u guys think would be good to use to make header pipes?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Actually prior to 99 they didnt. None of the OBS trucks had intercoolers from the factory
now what does OBS stand for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.