Any Difference Between '89-'92 IDI 7.3? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Any Difference Between '89-'92 IDI 7.3?

One of my instructors from school had purchased a '92 F-350 dually 7.3 with an aftermarket Banks Sidewinder turbo. The engine/truck is pretty clean, but it runs like it has a radical camshaft. After he did some investigating, he found he has a dead cylinder & wants to yank the engine & drop in a temporary donor engine in it. He looked on Craig's List & found a guy who had a running 7.3 IDI for sale in a neighboring town. I went down with him today & checked the engine out. It looks like it's in pretty rough shape & one difference I noticed is this engine has v-belts instead of a serp belt. Now, that has me wondering; is there anything on this '89 IDI's engine that isn't compatible with the '92 F-350 besides the accesory drive? Anything that needs to be modified or changed? Any other secrets I need to know about? I just want to make 100% sure considering my instructor had already shelled out the money for the engine. Can anyone give some info?

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They are the exact same motors. If you want you can swap the serpentine setup onto the donor motor. Everything will swap over.

-Justin-
1985 Ford F-250 with a 6.9 IDI/T-19 4speed 4x4
Paint, Eagle Alloys, Kelly Safari TSR's, ATS turbo, gauges

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed
2004 2wd Excursion Limited 6.0. Testing how loyal I am to Ford

1997 Passat B4V TDI. 1 of 80 imported in 97. 50 MPG and a factory 25 gallon fuel tank!
post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
They are the exact same motors. If you want you can swap the serpentine setup onto the donor motor. Everything will swap over.
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks FordGuy! He had already paid for the motor before I could post anything up. The guy he bought it from claims the engine was running before they decided they wanted to part it out & send the carcass to the heap. We just brought the engine back to my instructor's house today & we turned it over with a breaker bar & it turns easy & sounds like the pistons are making compression, so that's a good sign. We just need to address some leak issues, get it cleaned up, & it'll be a great donor engine.

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode