7.3 E4OD to C6 Swap Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 E4OD to C6 Swap Question

I have a 7.3 IDI out of an old Church van that was hit in the nose and I am currently swaping it into my old F-100(See sig for specs). When I got it, it was factory equiped an E4OD but it was missing, so I dug out an old C6 and rebuilt it. Yes its a diesel C6 and it has a new reman diesel converter. I have been doing a lot of research and from everywhere I read the flexplate can be reused from the E4OD but for some reason it just isn't working for me. I bolted everything up, got the driveshafts in, shifter hooked up, cooler lines fabed, the whole 9 yards and when I started pulling the converter nuts up tight the flexplate was bending. The converter wasn't pinched in between the 2. It was fully engaged in the pump and had room to move but would pull forward. Well after I tightened all 4 nuts I had a buddy spin it over with the fuel relay pulled and the flexplate was all kinds of bent. I took all the nuts back off and its straight agian. Anyone got any ideas?? I just got the tranny back out last night (not fun, by yourself in gravel...) and I went in to go to bed. I think the converter pilot area isn't the correct size or just didn;t engage correctly, but if anyone has any other ideas, just throw it out. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Well after checking it all out the pilot size is correct, everything fits good on the ground. I am going to reinstall the tranny and try again and see what is going on. I think the trans was ****ed top to bottom and the pilot isn't engaging...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to tsteel
Im not 100% sure but I think the first 7.3 IDI was backed by a c6.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:28 AM

Ok. I got it figured out this weekend. Removed the flexplate and noticed a dimple about 1" from one of the studs. Come to find out the business that built my torque coinverter put a drain plug in it and my flexplate didn't have a hole to accept it causing it to warp when I tightened it down. I will let y'all know when I get the tranny re-installed.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to tsteel
that was nice of them to do that
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well hopefully you dont mess anything up as you tightened it up and spun it. I didnt even know they would do that to a torque converter, thats kinda weird.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Well. I don't think it hurt anything, the original flexplate that came with the engine looked like the ocean. As for the tranny, I just got done building it and its all new on the inside and I only turned it 1-2 revs before I let off the key(well screwdriver, lol). I might be able to get some buddies to help me lift that heavy mo-fo back in tonight and maybe I can be moving by Saturday. I say moving b/c I have no steering or brakes as of now but I can still idle around, throw out an anchor to stop, lol. I guess sometime Ford must have but a drain plug in it b/c he only rebuilds Ford cores and sells them, but I have never seen a 7.3/6.9 C6 with a drain in the converter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.