Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mercedes Benz Diesel

5K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Dietoremain 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 1985 Mercedes 300SD with a 5 cylinder 3.0l diesel. This thing is immaculate and I can scoop it up for next to nothing!
The only thing is that it has 293,000 miles on it, but the thing looks better than most 100k vehicles.
The car looks perfect but how much life would be left in that engine??
Its a diesel, but how long do those little engines last?:dunno:

#3 ·
I bet it could go past 500k! This thing is beautiful and I can get it for only $1000. I've always heard good things about M-B and their diesels. I think it could be a good buy.:nod:

#5 ·
I really think I might pull the trigger on this one. I really want to just buy it, tinker a little with it, and then sell it. And in the mean time it will be my new DD.:nod:

#6 ·
Here's a picute of it..

Its only had 2 owners, the auto tranny was recently rebuilt, new tires, spare set of wheels and tires come with it.
Also its turbocharged and capable of 0-60 in 14 secs.:wink[3]:

#9 ·
I really like it too. It has a pretty neat looking front end. The bumper and grille are like something that I've never seen before, I also like the long-nose and the black and grey two-tone.:nod:

#13 ·

Heres my 85 300D Turbo Diesel. Shes got 256,486 miles and the odo stopped working. Its probably got almost 300k on it now. It was recorded that the odo stopped working in 1997. It runs great. A MD Turbo Diesel is a good investment. Go over to superturbodiesel.com - tuning performance turbo diesel mercedes, W123, W116 and up. OM617, OM60X and learn all about them.

Pull the trigger. You will love that SD (super diesel) for years. It wont let you down. The engine will run forever. Just keep up on the oil and adjusting the valves every 12k miles.

#14 ·
Thanks for the PM Devin, you definitely gave me some assurance that I cant go wrong with the SuperDiesel. I definitely need to look at that forum! I'm really excited about that car.
You'll definitely be my first line of help when I get this car.:thumb:

#16 ·
Those cars are one of the best running diesels I have ever seen. A buddy of mine has an 85 that's got close to 350k on it and it's still running clean and smooth. Just kept up with regular maintenance and misc. engine parts and its still buzzin

#24 ·
Well I dont know of any problems but it will get a thorough inspection and test drive. The guy says he has too many cars at his apartment.
The tranny was done recently and the interior and exterior are immaculate.
The only problem I see is its been driven too much.:doh:
But I'll find out soon what it really is..
You also have a good point Clay, parts are money but hopefully I'll be just fine.

#25 ·
Do some research......old MB parts arent expensive what so ever. Since no one has any interest in these cars, you can find alot of complete cars in junkyards and it makes it even cheaper.

#27 ·
Mercedes W126 OM616

I used to have a 1982 240D and I performed all the maintenance myself including replacing it with a rebuilt long block at 204K. As I remember the 1985 MB diesels had a diesel particulate trap that was notorious for blowing up; somehow the particals made their way back into the turbo, the turbo and engine would then be shredded. Mercedes Benz apparently corrected the problem, just make sure this one has been corrected. You will most likely have to go to an authorized MB dealer to obtain this information.

If you buy it just remember these diesels love to spin at high RPM, romp on it!!

#31 ·
Wow i like that 76. It looks good. I dont know why i love the body style so much. Probably because no one has any and its unique. Its like having a 2dr Plymouth Fury vs a 69 Chevelle SS

#32 · (Edited)
The 85 was the last of the best. In 86 they went to a 6 cyl 3.0, still a good runner, smoother and faster than the 5 cyl but not as bullet proof. The 6 cyl heads are prone to cracking if overheated, and a new head costs more than the car is worth. But you don't have to worry about that with the 5 cyl. I have an 87 with the original head and about 160K on her, still running great. It's hard to kill these cars. Check out this forum: Diesel Discussion - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

#33 ·
Hmm. Thats good info. Thanks.:thumb:

#37 · (Edited)
The old diesels are bomb proof! We get them all the time in the dealer....hardly ever is there a running problem. Biggest thing on those is leaking fuel from the injection pump...other than that???Good To Go! Def a steal at $1K.

The filter that was talked about earlier is called a trap oxidizer and would be visible on the passenger side of the motor sorta looks like a cat converter. They act sorta like a DPF however they dont have a regen process in which the problem lied...plugged up! There was a dealer technical bulletin put out to correct it. All that was done was the trap oxidizer taken off and a straight pipe put in its place. And yeah they would do some damage! Diesel motor detonate? Yup seen it...but if its been done your good!

#38 ·
good cars, my buddy had one with over 276K on it or somethin and his odometer was broken too lol.
so easily 300K just kept ticking and clattering away, interior was still mint too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.