Are they capable? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are they capable?

Ok. this is different. i am designing new heads for the 7.3L IDI to make a conversion kit to make them DI's for those who love their old trucks. Are the IDI injectors capable of running as a DI? will they create a usable atomization? I mean it wont just squirt a kinda solid stream? i will have new nozzles made or just honed them out if needed. also how much boost can these injectors handle without failing?
thanks for any info. jacob

Last edited by cc.DieselRacer; 07-17-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 02:07 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Sounds like a big but fun project good luck.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, good luck. Do you have access to a lot of high end equipment? You will basically have to design a whole new set of heads. If you have somebody do it for you, its going to be a HUGE amount of money to do. But if you have access then have at it.

The stock injectors should be good. I know a guy who makes good aftermarket injectors, none of that DPS garbage.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM
shaking things up

sounds like a huge project but if you can make that work you might be able to make some huge power out of that beast!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 PM

I dont have high end stuff but my uncle has a molding kit id use if i make ''new'' heads which ive now decided not to do. Instead i want to make the metal mixture and fill in the swirlchamber removing the glowplugs and injectors from the original spot and placing the glow plugs in the intake and the injectors after alot of drilling and tapping, either in the origal spot just go all the way to the chamberor or in the gap between the valves/rockers(its gonna be tight) or on the exhaust side of the head in a slight angle to spray directly on the piston.

i would love for this to work but i don know if it will work but itll be fun!
also will 7.3 powerstroke pistons fit an 7.3IDI? ill use trubo IDI C-rods. if i have to i will mill the pistons down to lower the comp.

becuase if it does work itll receive twins! haha
Thanks for the replies

Last edited by cc.DieselRacer; 07-18-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to blowinsmoke4life
it would be better to tap the head to accept cummins injectors seeing they are capable of more hp and a p-pump from a 8 clyinder international
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 AM

You cant put the injectors or glow plugs to far into the combustion chamber. IDI heads are flat, and the pistons usually stick out of the block something like .0030", so the only gap you have is your head gaskets. Which is not much....

Powerstroke pistons wont work. You can use turbo IDI rods and low compression Mahle pistons (plus more milling to lower it more). You cant mill to much off the top of the pistons as it will get to close to the rings and they will fail in time. There is a number of how much you can take off but I forget it.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Dang. well the glow plugs i would put in the intake but with the injectors i was thinking just have the tip barely exposed just enough to get a decent spray outof anywhere in the chamber to get the direct shot but flat with the head mostly.

So do you guys know anyone who makes custom pistons for a decent price?

maybe if someone could make me some pistons with the bowl/cup (like P-Strokes) instead of the swirlchamber relief it would work.

oh and Blowinsmoke4life, id use the people most of you hate, DPS get their 20HP injectors with their high performance IP. so i dont think i need dodge injectors to do this if i have that much fuel going to the cylinders. Just a thought.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Oilfield Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
You cant put the injectors or glow plugs to far into the combustion chamber. IDI heads are flat, and the pistons usually stick out of the block something like .0030", so the only gap you have is your head gaskets. Which is not much....

Powerstroke pistons wont work. You can use turbo IDI rods and low compression Mahle pistons (plus more milling to lower it more). You cant mill to much off the top of the pistons as it will get to close to the rings and they will fail in time. There is a number of how much you can take off but I forget it.
di heads are flat as well. and the pistion head allows the injector and gp to stick through the head.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 PM

mebe its the beer, but this ****s' over my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.