Bleeding 7.3 diesel ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bleeding 7.3 diesel ??

Hi,
I have just changed the fuel filter in my 1995 Ford e350 RV it started up and ran for a few seconds and then stopped, do you have to bleed it to get the air out or will it start with just turning it over and over till the filter is filled with fuel and clears out the air??
Cheers Dave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Unless there is something else causing the problem. Then you just need to keep cranking.

The only way to bleed the air out of the fuel system is by cranking.

How ever long periods of cranking can cause damage to the starter. So I would not crank for long periods of time.

Crank for 15 seconds, then wait 1 minute then crank for 15 seconds. Do this till it starts.

Like I said unless there is other problems then you just need to bleed the air out.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Before you start cranking bleed the air by pressing the thing that looks like a tire filler crank a little bit then press the thing again.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmp111 View Post
Before you start cranking bleed the air by pressing the thing that looks like a tire filler crank a little bit then press the thing again.
do this till fuel comes out, then crack one injector on either side of the motor and crank
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman02232 View Post
do this till fuel comes out, then crack one injector on either side of the motor and crank

a 1995 E350 diesel is a powerstroke, so there is no injection lines to crack.

One thing that I do a lot of is fuel filters on older mechanical fuel pump engines (IDI's and early powerstrokes). Re-priming is a pain. what I usually do is get the engine moderately warm before I do the filter swaps. This makes starting easier, since the engine is already warm. I also get a friend to crank the engine while I let it sniff a little gasoline on a rag. The fumes will cause the engine to run on gas fumes, and spin the engine over way faster than the starter can, and will get the system primed in a hurry. Just don't get carried away. You'll have to throttle the engine with the rag. Closer to speed it up, farther away from the intake to throttle it down. Just give it enough to make an idle speed. It will clear the air out of there in a hurry. It also works for getting an engine started after injector replacement.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi All,
Many thanks for all your help, I just cranked it a little more and and away it went up and running again.
Dave.

God Bless The Troops.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:37 PM

Cracking Injectors in 1995 7.3 liter F250 Powerstrokes

I just read that there is no cracking injectors in 1995 F350 powerstrokes, but what about F250's? Today is the last stage of installing a newly remanufactured 7.3 liter International engine into my 1995 F250 Powerstroke & I want tips on how to start it successfully for the first time without causing any damage to it. It supposedly was started at the engine factory, but still, I have to somehow bleed the fuel lines and injectors of air, things like that. I just want to know what absolutely must be done before trying to start it for the first time to be sure all bases are covered to protect the new engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.